I have a 1 yr. old Dalmatian/Pitbull dog. Can anyone give me any info on this breed?

I am about to adopt a 1 yr. old Dalmatian/Pitbull dog this weekend. I know Pitbulls are known for their temper and Dalmatians are very playful. But besides that I really don't have a clue on this mixed breed. Are their any health concerns, tempers, training that I need to know about? Are they good with other dogs, cats? (I have a 1 year old cat and there are a few other dogs in my building) Any info will be helpful!!!

Asked by Member 791767 on Jan 13th 2009 Tagged dalmatian, pitbull, mixedbreed, personality in Mixed Breeds

Answers

Miss Buddie

You're really not going to find a lot about of specific information about that particular mix. Your best bet would be to look up information about each specific breed and know that any of those characteristics or problems could occur with this particular dog.

I do know that terriers have a strong prey instinct (I have two at my house) and that you'll probably have to train them not to chase the cat. It's not that hard. Just give the cat a place to escape where the dog can't go. Be consistent with your NO! You'll have some hissing and swiping at first, but with time it will work out. Just supervise their interaction until things are sorted out.

Miss Buddie answered on 1/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Dalmatians and American Pit Bull Terriers are both high energy dogs that require a lot of exercise as well as mental stimulation. That does not translate to 2 walks a week, in other words... :) I'd highly recommend doing an obedience class together too. It will help with your bond as well as mentally wear him out.

I'm not sure what you mean by a pit bull's "temper"? I volunteer at a shelter and own a Pit mix... the Pits are definitely the least temperamental of the bunch. Maybe you mean some Pits are prone to dog aggression. Some will be, many won't. My pit mix is dog-reactive on leash so if you have specific ?'s about that just PMail me.

I'll stress this again - Dal/Pit is going to be a really high energy dog. Providing adequate exercise, as well as adequate socialization with other dogs and people is going to be a MAJOR priority. Walks, runs, hikes, biking, classes, at-home training, are all good activities. Remember that a TIRED dog is a good dog.

I second the idea that this dog could be a handful in terms of energy level. Dalmations are extremely active and curious and playful dogs.

And, while Pitties don't have 'tempers' as you say, they do belong to the terrier group of dogs and can be intense with their prey drive and energy level, too.

It's impossible to tell for sure what kind of personality your particular dog will have, so if you have another dog that actually lives with you, then I'd bring him in to meet the Dal/Pit mix.

In terms of health concerns, both breeds can have specific concerns, but sometimes mixed breed dogs can have less health issues due to the fact that they aren't as purely bred. But, that's not always the case. We had a mixed breed who had every problem under the sun and a purebred who was never sick.

Again, it's so hard to tell. Just like people, dogs are complete individuals. Be ready for a dog who needs a lot of exercise and training to be happy and have good behavior.

Angel

Dalmatians can be a little unpredictable around other dogs, and pit bulls can be a bit aggressive. I would recommend getting Legacy of the Dog. It has pictures of all different dog breeds, plus info on the breeds. Just do your research on the two different breeds, and ask about the dog's temperament, too, to prepare yourself.
:)

Angel answered on 1/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Alazaya

I right now have an American Staffordshire Terrier aka Pitbull! and a Rottweiler and they are VERY hard headed animals! Really good dogs tho! My friend on the other hand had a Dalmatian and they are about the same! A little on the hyper side! Everyone I know with Pitties have been very good dogs! Your probably better off goin to each breed site to see about them ! Good luck

Alazaya answered on 1/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bandit

Just like any other breed they have there pros and cons. My brother-in-law actually had a litter of dalmation/pitbull puppies. They are really cute, but they were a hand full. They had to be firm with there training and not let them got away with alot. Keep them bussy so they didn't get bored. I would look up each breed and know that you are going to get a little from both sides. It is all in how you are going to treat and teach your dog. Firm but calm would be a good way to teach him. Slowly introduce him to the family he is going to have.

Bandit answered on 1/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I have the same mix breed dog and I can tell you that she is very, very high energy. She is about a year and three months and she out plays my six month old boxer puppy. She is also very smart though, and every instance of the mix that I have found, on-line or otherwise, shares these two characteristics. Training is defiantly the key to having a good relationship with your dog and I have found that multiple small training sessions (about 15 min.) are the best way to go. Anything longer than that and my dog would get frustrated and lose interest. If this happens though, always go back to a trick your dog already knows and end your session on a good note. Also, for when I had to leave her alone, I found that those toys that you could put treats work well at keeping her out of trouble. Good luck and have fun!

bandana

well i kno ur dog is sure to have plenty of personality because i am an owner of 7 beautiful pitbulls and they are clowns!! but as for training you should get to ASAP and introduce him/her to the cat very gradually as i am asuming u dont kno the history of the dog i would suggest supervising him/her with any smaller animals or other dogs until u feel comfortable in his/her attitude as far as heath concerns i dont think there is any unusual cases but dalmations are terrible at over eating as well as pitbulls also pitbulls can chew up to the age of 3 and are known to be destructive when left home alone or bored so have plenty of toys!!

well i hope i helped

bandana answered on 1/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I adopted a 6 month old Dalmatian/pit mix 12 years ago from my local humane society. She had major separation anxiety and behavioral issues. I almost took her back. I would have regretted that decision for the rest of my life. I unfortunately had to resort to training her with an electric collar but it didn't take long maybe 4 shocks and from that point on she became the loyal dog I always wanted. She loved everybody and all animals, dogs, cats etc... The only time she every became vicious was with mail men, police officers, or men in uniform. She developed cancer at 5 years old and was given 3 months to live. She passed away in October of 2008, 11 1/2 years after she entered my life. She outlived 2 wives and many so called friends. If you do adopt be prepared for a energetic, smart, stubborn, hard headed dog that will become the best friend you ever had! My advice would be to get pet insurance! Any questions just ask!

Scrappy

With pits you have to socialize them early. Have them met lots of ppl. and other animals. Since yours is 1, I would have him/her meet older ppl who are not spooked by pits. I have just found a pit/dally and i have taken her everywhere with me. she is just 3-4 months old and loves ppl. Pits and dallys are both extremely smart dogs, playful, full of energy, loyal. We used to own a amstaff and he was the best babysitter ever.

Scrappy answered on 2/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I hope you did indeed adopt this pitmation! I am the owner of two pitmations(Biggs and Pertie) and there are truly wonderful! They are extremely affectionate(big lap dogs! lol), great watch dogs, great companions for walks and jogging, very very smart and very very sneaky! lol.
Of course, no breed(whether pure bred or mixed) is absolutely perfect, so there are some things you should do to help avoid some bad behavior.
I highly suggest that your Pitmation be socialized with other dogs since they can become quite animal aggressive. Pitmations are very intelligent and can be trained fairly easily if you are firm and consistent. They get bored easily so a daily walk and/or other mental stimulation is very much recommended.
Considering their breed combination, there are some health problems that you may want to look out for. For example, Pertie has epilepsy. Dalmations are somewhat prone to this disease, so it may occur in your Pitmation.
Please contact me for any other questions! =)

I had a Dalmatian, and I had a Pitt Bull. They both lived to be 17 years old. The pitt bull is a very sweet natured breed contrary to what has been said. It has an extremely strong jaw, and can bit on a rope and hang for several minutes in the air. The dalmatian loves to stay with his owner. They love to drive in cars, and travel, love walks, are very intelligent, and have a mind of their own sometimes. A mix of these two breeds should be no problem at all. Both are very nice dogs. The only health concerns are to watch for hip dysplasia, and have the dogs hearing and eyes checked to make sure they are fine.

Breukelen

I have a 16 month old Dalmatian Pit and like someone said before, do your research on both breeds. They both have their own characteristics. I know with my dog, she picks up on things extremely quickly. Highly intelligent !!! It's not what you say but how you say it. Eye to eye communication is key on the good and bad side. BAD: She tends to leap for people on the street to play because the eye contact as a sign to greet. GOOD: Commands are more concise. I just started to train her with a head harness and it was EXTREMELY beneficial. Do your research about using one because it may lead to psychological issues!!!!!!!!!!!

Breukelen answered on 3/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

okay. i have one and her nickname is Princess Psycho Spot! Delilah is such a lover but she just snaps out of the blue and attaccks my other dog. Other than that she's definately my baby. She's great with people, kids and adults.

socks and moomoo

i have one of these breeds he is 2 years old and is best with alot of children around he protects them to the fullest and loves to play.He was very easy to potty train and is so smart it's almost shocking.He is well known all over our neighborhood because of all the kids around there has even been times when the neighborhood kids would knock on my door and ask if socks can come out and play.I also have a jackchi that he loves, plays and sleeps with he is great with all other animals except cats but i have never really had one around him because i am alergic,so other than that he's a great dog and i wouldn't trade him for the world.OH yea he also loves this cold snowy weather he will play outside in it for hours if i let him.

socks and moomoo answered on 12/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have a pit/dalmation mix just over a year. I've had her since 4 months. She has no temper but can be slightly stubborn (not bad). She is very playful and very loyal to her family. She is somewhat wary of strangers and makes a good guard dog. She whines a little but not too much and some of her stubborn tendencies are scratching on doors or whining for us. She is great with other dogs, but chases cats. Be careful with the cat and introduce them slowly and calmly. Hold your dog and don't let her get excited. If the cat runs it's over. Slightly sensitive skin. She likes to snuggle 24/7. Hope this helps. She's an amazing dog and I highly recommend her. She's an acrobat and loves to climb trees. She's very smart and trained easily. We call the mix Czech Pits.

I am an aspiring dog trainer with 2 female Pitmations at home and want to warn you that this breed is not for everyone! While they are very sweet-tempered from the Pitbull, Dalmations are a bit more testy. This doesn't mean you can't have a great dog, just that they require A LOT MORE WORK! My girls need several hours a week off-leash at the dog park as well as hour long walks daily to be happy and balanced. This is often difficult with busy schedules and yucky weather so a dog walker is a good idea if you work. I can't stress enough the importance of basic obedience with such a high-maintenence breed!!! They should have plenty of constructive outlets(maybe an agility or rally class or some dock diving!)as you are guaranteed to run out of energy before they do! I would love to answer more questions if you have any as I have a wealth of info on the breed! My email is sadiekins07@gmail.com, feel free to contact me with any questions you might have and good luck!

I just lost my love, my best friend, Angelina, a 12 yr old dalmation/pit mix to seizures that she wouldn't ome out of. She showed signs of extreme pain in her lower spine. The neurologist had her on pain meds & steroids which made her seem normal, but on Aug 11th, 2011 she took seizures which she never came out of. The doc now thinks she had a mass in the front brain area which caused her death. I am in shock because at 12 she still acted like a young dog. We nicknamed her 'Puppy'. Yes she was a handfull as a puppy and her first few years.. but because of how intelligent she was, she always wanted to please us. She got along great with our other dog & cat, and even our parrot. She never was aggressive, understood how to play with children of different ages, the young ones, she was more gentle, the bigger kids, she played more aggressively. Everyone that was in contact with her instantly loved her.... so yes...it is absolutely worth having a dalmation/Pit dog!!

I adopted a dog I wanted you to know about named THOR...
He was a Brindl Pitt/Dalmation mix with movie star good looks and missing his right front leg (NOT a disability!) when I adopted him at 2 years old. He had sever seperation anxiety which faded away completely within a year, at which point he bacame the perfect dog! His personality was so loyal and balanced and solid, he was so smart and obedient and friendly to all my friends. He used to go bar hopping with me because he never was turned away or kicked out of public places! He was simply amazing! I am actively looking for a litter like this because I tell people that this mix will forever be "my favorite breed"

Here is some advice:

Adopt this dog immediately before it gets snatched up by someone else!

Pitts and pitt mixes are usually teddy bears when spayed or neutered..this dog is 1 yo so just do it if it isn't fixed already.

Thor was not just my dog, he was my hero. I have every expectation yours could be the same!

I have a 80 percent pitbull with 20 percent dalmation. She's 2 years old. Of course it depends on how you train them but I believe they have a mean bloodline naturally. But she is such a playful dog and needs to be the center of attention. Yes,they are a good mix but keep training the dog constantly,they will pay attention. I don't know what the percentage is of yours but pits are nice if trained right. They can latch on to a toy or other dog or person if they want to bad enough.ive seen it many times. A lot of idiots think they don't have lockjaw. They can. Just like demons are a myth,ya right! And dalmations can be mean if they want,it all depends on how they are trained and treated like any dog. I have had 18 dogs in my life and trained over 50 so I'm not a stranger to them.