I have a 1 year old malt/poo he does not eat much and hates dog food. He will eat duck jerky once in a while , but he pr

Is it safe for him to eat more than 1 greenie per day?

Asked by Member 1085197 on Jan 17th 2012 Tagged food, training in Home Grooming

Answers

TyGuy

Just like children, dogs need to eat food that is good for them, not just what they want to eat. Jerky treats and greenies do not constitute a "diet" for your dog and there are alternatives to dog food. To be honest, jerkies have been recalled due to causing illness and dog foods have been the same. Here's a link to a homemade dog food that I use. It's easy to make and your dog will like it. Put it down for 10 minutes in the a.m. and pick it up. Do that again in the p.m. By day 2, he will be eating it no problems. It's super healthy for him and as he is a small dog, it will cost you very little to feed him like this: www.dinovite.com

My son would eat candy for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I let him. : )

TyGuy answered on 1/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This might sound crazy, but IT WORKS. I'm a dog walker and work with over 15 dogs in my neighborhood. I have had a few that refuse to eat, unless it's a treat. I started taking a Cesar Milan course online and it REALLY helped. His suggestion works! When you put the food in the bowl, mix it up with your hands. This puts your scent on the food which makes it more "interesting" to them. Mix it up for about thirty seconds "with love" and place it down. Your malt/poo should eat it right up. It sounds crazy, but it has worked on every dog I've tried this with. A poodle, beagle, basset hounds, and mini schnauzer.

Kazba

Greenies are fine, they are not harmful to the dog and since they have returned to a formula that breaks down after bing eaten. They no longer have the problems they had a few years ago.

Kazba answered on 1/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Carter

I agree with the other comment about homemade dog food. It will be more healthy for him since alot of dog foods put in stuff that shouldnt be fed to dogs. : ( so he will be alot healthier eating something that you know what is in there. : )

Carter answered on 4/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer