Sherman

I have a 1 and 1/2 year old male cane corso and he is very vocal Is this typical of his breed?

My 1 and 1/2 year old cane corso is a very vocal dog. He barks,growls, and even howls alot. I would even go as far as to say he is "talkative". Does anyone know if this is typical of the breed?

Asked by Sherman on Jun 8th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Did you rescue him or get him as a puppy? Because your dog looks NOTHING like a cane corso mastiff. In fact, he looks like a Mastiff mix. Maybe its the uncropped ears, I'm not sure, but he doesn't look like any Cane that I've ever seen! I'm not trying to be rude, but just google Cane Corso and see if he looks like anything you see!

Dogs, like people, have individual personalities. Some are more talkative or sassy, others rarely bark. Bam-Bam has always been a very vocal boy, but I know others who have never heard their own dogs bark.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 6/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Megan

Who knows, maybe there is some hound dog in there! Arrooo

Yeah, your boy may not be Cane Corso at all, probably a mix. Nice looking dog, but since he is probably not a Cane Corso, don't look for answers about his temperament by looking at that breed.

Just remember he is a wonderful individual.

Megan answered on 6/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sir Damian the Beast

Sherman is a gorgeous doggie, and to me looks cane corso, i too have a cane corso, and no they are def not supposed to be vocal doggies, it you check the breed standards on the homepage of dogster it says that they usually only bark when defending their homes. i will send you a paw mail of my cousins cane corso, he is a breeder and your sherman looks a lot like one of his males. his color is different, but you can see the cane corso mastiff features in this beautiful boy. and by the way my boy is very vocal also. who woulda guessed! ha good luck to you and big doggie hugs, from us to you!

Sir Damian the Beast answered on 6/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

your dog is very cute, and very cane corso.

like the last dogster posted they are not "supposed" to be vocal dogs, but it just depends on the dog. he may just be "talkative" like you said. BamBams mom, being a mastiff owner should be informed that cane corso italianos are in fact a breed of mastiffs , the italian mastiff. so it is typical that they look mastiff like. check out this site for those who are unaware of the breed, www.havenhillcorsos.com

Valentino

My corso is 3 and is pretty vocal.. not so much with barking(though when he gets excited he will run around giving single barks) but with this growl-like noise. He doesn't growl like he's angry but it's a similar noise.

BTW my corso also has his ears intact and corso people are sometimes thrown off by it when they see him i bet that's why some people thought he didn't look like a corso at first.

Valentino answered on 6/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer