I have a 14 wk old Akita puppy and I can't get him to walk, as in go for a walk.

I know he needs exercise because he is crated or confined much of the day while my husband and I are at work. But every time we take him out all he wants to do is sit and stare. Then he comes inside and tears around like a wild thing and pees and poops on the carpet! Help! He is not my first Akita but is my first Akita puppy.

Asked by Member 1113484 on May 31st 2012 in Leash Walking

Answers

Koby

Have you tried luring him with toys or really yummy treats? How long have you had him? Sometimes it takes a little time for them to catch on to the walk on the leash thing. Maybe you could have someone go with you and call him while on the leash. Praise him, treat him and make a huge deal out of it even when he walks a few steps. If you make it fun, he'll be more willing to walk on the leash. Good Luck!

Koby answered on 5/31/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shadow

Try wrapping his lead around your leg(but still holding it) so when you walk your dog comes to. This will also teach him the walk next to you instead of pulling ahead.

Shadow answered on 6/2/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Make going outside a positive experience.
1. Say "go potty"... When she finally goes, praise her and give her a treat.
2. After she goes potty, start walking... Show her your treats and say come on (place name here). The second she comes, even if it is one step praise her and give her a treat. REPEAT for at least 3 minutes.
Hope this helps... Patience is key.