I have 3 dogs. Recently 2 of them have started fighting fairly aggressively. They have lived together for 5 years prior

just a side note, they are male and female- both are fixed. It is not food aggression either.

Asked by Member 1142578 on Nov 27th 2012 Tagged fighting, aggression in Behavior & Training

Answers

What breeds are they? Have you made any changes? Like, new food? New treats? Have you had the 3rd dog the same amount of time? Any new people in the house? Have you moved? Are they on any medications? If so, what? Has either one been spayed recently or have they been spayed for a while now? Any other changes?

I also have 3 dogs. 2 male, 1 female, all neutered. My two boys are very different energy levels and one is very pushy.
They have had a couple of nasty fights, very scary so I know how upsetting it can be.

I put all 3 on a NILIF program. No favorites or privileges. No special treatment. Good manners and lots of sit, stay practice.
My dogs are competing for attention when they come to blows. Sometimes it's human attention, sometimes it's the female dogs attention.
When they get over excited, I stop the activity and put the boys on a down stay because I know it tends to go wrong from there.

Without knowing what was happening just before the fight I can't tell you what the trigger was. There is ALWAYS a trigger and warning behavior.
You may be told to split them up. That doesn't solve the problem. It creates 2 packs when you need 1. Contact a behaviorist for help. It's cheaper than Vet bills.