I have 2 dogs who are VERY attached. The older one must be euthanized, should the younger one be there?

I am afraid that the younger one wont understand why his big brother left one day and never came back. I dont want him to feel abandoned. He is a rescue (the both are) and I want to help him know that his family wont just leave him. Has anyone dealt with this??

Asked by Member 1124687 on Aug 8th 2012 in Loss of a Pet

Answers

Jax and Kali were very close. They did everything together. Then on May 30th we suddenly lost Jax. She died at home peacefully. We let Kali see her gone. She still went into a depressed-like state. She is just now coming out of it. The only advice I can give is try to keep your other dog busy. Give him extra attention and do more activities with him. I'm not sure, but I think having a second dog (Koby) helped Kali over her slump. I'm not saying get a second dog, but maybe it might be something you might want to consider later. I think it depends on the dog how he will handle it. We couldn't even mention Jax's name in front of Kali for the longest time. It's just been this past week or so she hasn't been looking for her. I'm really sorry you have to make that decision. It's something we all have to eventually face and it's not fun. :)