i got a 70lb collie hound mix who likes to play rough with the kids he like to bite the arms and legs he hits them with

the vet told me he will grow out of it but hes so overpowering to my kids dont know what to do

Asked by Member 1136715 on Oct 20th 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

What kind of play is he doing? Do you throw a ball for him? How old is he? I would try some constructive/controlled play with him. At the very least he will get rid of some of his energy before he plays with the kids. Try hiding treats so he has to look for them. That will work his brain and along with throwing a ball for him should tire him out. Good Luck!

Alikazam

I agree with the last answer, in addition I would try to use a dogs natural instincts. When he gets too rough have the kids yip like a dog that has been stepped on and in pain. That is a immediate clue to your dog that he should curb his play. Also turning your back on him and walking away will let him know the behavior is wrong. Continuing to play rough only reinforces the fact that it is alright to continue to play the same way he does now. Behavior modification is needed, he may calm down when older, but I wouldn't hold my breath till it happens.

Alikazam answered on 10/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Takoda

Completely agree with the last answer. I had the same problem with my husky and that worked. For the first year or two I didn't let anyone play roughly with him because he would always go rougher. However, now he has matured and knows to control himself, even if someone is playing rough with him.

Takoda answered on 10/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs

i think everyone is missing part of this question. why r you allowing kids to hit your dog?

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs answered on 11/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer