mozart

I clipped my dogs nail too short, what do I do?

I was clipping my dogs nails and its hard to tell where the vain is because his nails are black. It started bleeding and I applied pressure and put flour on it and it stopped bleeding. I have his paw in a bandage. I don't know if I should keep his paw bandaged, how to clean it, or if he should stay off of it. I am really worried and hope he is okay :(

Asked by mozart on May 30th 2013 Tagged nails, grooming, bleeding, dog in Home Grooming

Answers

Caspian

Use corn starch or flour to stop the bleeding. You can buy a substance called quickstop which also does this but if the paw is already bleeding then its too late to go buy some.
Don't feel bad about accidentally hitting the quick (the vein in the nail) Even groomer sometimes do. They will even purposefully do so if they need to shorten the quick. Just have your flour or quick stop ready next time you clip.

Caspian answered on 5/30/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Once it stops bleeding it is fine and doesn't need bandaging or anything else done to it.
Caspian, I am a life long groomer and I frequently go to seminars and conventions where there are hundreds of groomers present. NO GROOMER I have EVER met will intentionally cut ANY dog's nails too short. It is extremely painful to the dog and is not something anyone does whether it is to shorten the quick or whatever.
If you EVER have a groomer suggest doing that to your dog, you should report them immediately to your local humane society or ASPCA, and NEVER let them work on your dog!!! Intentionally quicking a dog is cruel and totally inhumane and is not something any caring individual would ever consider!

That's really painful for your dog. Make sure you dip the affected area into a handful or bowl of baking soda, flour, or baby powder. until the bleeding stops. Hold that for seconds and soon as the bleeding had stopped, wash the area with lukewarm water then pat with dry tissue or soft cloth.