Mattie

I am very overweight and am having no luck losing any.

I'm a almost 18 inches tall so I'm a very big beagle. But I weight about 43lbs. I take two brisk miles plus walks with my mom everyday and have lots of time to run in our very big yard chasing birds and squirrels. I eat twice a day. Purina One Lamb and rice. It's measured out I get 3/4 cup twice. Canned food only on special events. I get raw hydes and liver treats. What should my Mom and Dad do? We have an appointment with a vet next week.

Asked by Mattie on Feb 3rd 2010 Tagged beagle, obese, lazy in Obesity

Answers

Hector

You will undoubtedly get many different answers, as most people have their own beliefs about what to feed their pets.

Personally, (and this truly works for me) but the vets will ultimately tell you to purchase expensive science diets, but I make my own dog food.

This way, I know what goes into it, I can control the fat intake, and with an older dog, I have to be careful of too much protein, and with a young pup, and two in-between, I have to balance each of their diets according to their activitie level, and this changes seasonally as well. Any nutrient that isn't in the homemade food, can be added with a can of vitamin enriched food, or in their kibbles.

If you would like to know how I make my own dog food, and what I use, and how I get great discounts, please pawmail me. I am very happy to give you details.

By the way, my vet agrees with my food choices for my dogs, and they are all in proper weight ranges for theirs sizes

Hector answered on 2/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am afraid you are just going to have to eat less. Are you sure nobody is slipping you food under the table or well meaning neighbors throwing left overs over the fence. Less of what you are eating should work. I think Purina 1 comes in a diet formula too which might help. The vet should have an experienced eye and fingers and evaluate your body condition.

You definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. Your owner should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs. Here is a link to a good illustrated guide, www.longliveyourdog.com

Disregard much of what you read here or elsewhere about food. Much of it is posted by the ignorant and the dishonest with an agenda. Some people will believe anything that sounds good to them, and others will lie to sell somthing.

B.J., CGC

Mattie... my adult labradors only ate one cup of Purina One A DAY when I used to feed that. I would suggest only 3/4 a cup PER DAY. You can divide it in two feedings, but 3/4 cup twice a day seems like an awfully lot for a beagle. My labs weighed 65 lbs and were very active and had great weight.
Also, just to get some idea of how many treats you eat in a day try putting one in a measuring cup every time you give one... I think it will shock you how much food you are getting in treats each day!

B.J., CGC answered on 2/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would feed her less and have her thyroid checked.

i feed that amount to my 37lb ACD, and thats of Wellness CORE. So feeding the same amount to a dog half the size, with lots of fillers to begin with... that's not going to get you very far. In my amateur opinion.

Shortdog

The green bean diet WORKS. I did this with Shortdog(plus a small walk every day) and he dropeed lbs. and inches like crazy. Green beans are filling, but have no calories.
If you're worried about nutrition, you should then give your dog vitamins.

This works, I highly reccommend it.

Good luck =]

Shortdog answered on 2/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I don't think feeding a dog just string beans is ever a good idea, for any idea.

First of all, the dog will likely get diarrhea from lack of protein and overdose of fiber, even after a day or two.

I can't imagine anyone thinking this is a good idea.

Mattie, I would cut back on the food. It seems like if you're really taking her on two brisk walks like that every day she should be fit, so the food is likely the culprit.

Also, Purina is really a very low quality food. Consider upgrading her. Wellness brand has an excellent low cal food which is better quality and could help her lose weight at the same time. I believe there are other light formulas out there, too.

It's good you are having her checked by the vet though, just in case. I would request a full blood panel to make sure she's not got any metabolic issues that are causing her to retain weight. Dogs can have/develop a similar insulin resistance as people do when they are obese.

I would say vet appt. and check for thyroid ect. so blood tests.
Then cut down on the food I gave kibble to a 21# dog that was about 1 cup per day. Maybe since he was within his weight I would treat occassionally.
Canned food? which one?
Raw hides are also extra fat cals.
I would cut them.
then liver treats check the sodium levels. In the raw we feed only 5% raw of the diet. So that might be too much salt and cals.
I feed one meal for adult dog daily. I have went to raw but I still feed once. same time each day also.

I did the green bean diet with my dog and it did lose weight. But i would mix the beans in with the hard food and i cut back on the amount of hard food so it was about equal to what they were getting before.