IN LOVING MEMORY

I am looking for a humane way to put my pet to sleep at home, does anyone have any suggestions.

My Lab is old and has sezuires and my vet will not put her too sleep for me, says she can medicate her to make her quality of life a little better. I am sure that she means well but, my dog is suffering and I can not stand to see her miserable. She has seizures from a gunshot wound to the head, they could not remove the bullet safely,and told me eventually she would probablky have sezs from it!PLes help!

Asked by IN LOVING MEMORY "Daisey" on Mar 12th 2008 in Illness & Disease

Best Answer

I'm sorry, too. This really sounds like a horrible situation and a tough choice.

I agree that if this is her only health problem, it may well be worth trying to medicate her. Dogs with seizures do very well on monitored medication, and your dog is still fairly young at 9 years old. She could live another four or five years! I had a dog with seizures, so I know what it is like.

How often does she have seizures? If they are short and don't happen too often, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to at least try the meds your vet is offering. It may very well be that these seizures bother you more than the dog.

If you feel you must euthanize her, ask your vet if she will come to your home or if she knows of someone who will. Some vets will do this if they understand why it is so important to you to have her euthanized at home.

Any other method is not only inhumane, but more than likely illegal.

Best of luck...I know this isn't easy.

Jack answered on Mar 12th.

Answers

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

I am so sorry for your baby!! I have no advice for you other than I had a dachshund who had seizures, the vet put him on meds ( very inexpensive) and he did great. Maybe you could give it a try, if it doesn't help maybe then your vet will take care of helping Daisey cross the bridge. If that is her only health problem, it may be well worth trying...apparently your vet your doesn't think she is ready to go. I hope I helped you some and you and Daisey will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 3/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Vance CGC

9 is old, but it isn't too old. There's a good chance meds will help... It's at least worth a try.

Seizures actually are not painful, so Daisey probably isn't suffering as much as you think. She may be a bit confused and uncoordinated afterward, but there shouldn't be any physical pain.

There's a lot of information on seizures out there. It's hard to offer specific advice because of all the different types of seizures. I suggest doing research, though. You may find simple home remedies that help a lot, such as adding or eliminating certain foods from her diet.

Vance CGC answered on 3/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pedro

I can understand your frustraions.I would say if your Vet will not help you I would seek another Vet.Maybe one that does house calls.
If you feel that you have done ALL you can,given medications a try and tried to make her life the best it can be then I would not feel bad for what you are doing.But if you have not done these things for your pet then you should be trying all you can for her. The best thing I can tell you is try not to be selfish(I'm not saying you are)in both ways wether it be putting her to sleep or keeping her going. You just do what is best for your dog.Only you will know what is best.
Best of luck

Pedro answered on 3/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kobe

Im sorry about your situation. Maybe you should change vets. I know my vet will go to his clients homes to euthanize the old dogs that cant make it into the vets lobby. Good luck.

Kobe answered on 3/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you are absolutely certain that your dog's quality of life is not what it should be, and that it would be the kinder thing to put her to sleep, then I would absolutely seek a second opinion from a different veterinarian.

I'm sure your vet means well, but I think that when the time comes to let your dog go, then the owner knows best. After all, it isn't your vet who spends all the time with your dog, it's you. You know her best. You know what quality of life she has.

I would get a consult with another vet and ask whether they can come to your home to put her to sleep, so she doesn't have to go through this at a vet's office and can pass away in peace at home.

Duke

I would try the meds first and then if they do not work and the vet will still not help you then I would find a different vet.

Duke "Blue Devil" Ford answered on 3/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Is anybody else wondering why this dog was shot in the head?????? She survived that and you are going to kill her for seizures which can be helped with medication?? This makes no sense. I am sorry if she is suffering, but perhaps you could help stop that if you at least try the meds. I think you owe it to her.

If you are going to put your dog down the best thing to do is find a vet to do it, if she is not having a good quality of life I'm sure a vet will respect that decision. I recently had to put a dog down, she went into kidney failure. Hardest thing I ever had to do was take her to the vet that day and say good bye forever. Do not do this yourself, don't even try you could end up causing her more pain than she is already in. Find a vet who will. You also don't need that on your conscience taking away your pets life. The best thing to do is have a vet do it, I can't say that enough.