I am going to adopt a great dane but I have a dog who jumps the fence constantly and don't want my great dane to do the

I am adopting a great dane puppy that one of my good friends will be giving up . Her dog is pregnant. How shoud I prevent this dog from jumping the fence?

Asked by Member 1142040 on Aug 6th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Build a higher fence. If a little dog can clear it, a big dog definitely will! ^_^

Make sure you build a higher fence.

Well the answer is obvious. Fix the fence so your dog can not jump out. Train him to stay in the yard or crate him when you are not home. Jumping a fence once is one too many times. You are liable for anything that happens if your dog is loose. So if he gets killed by a car you must pay the driver's bills. Honestly it is appalling that you've let this go unchecked. Frankly you may not be ready or able to take on a second dog. Please get your first one trained before even thinking of another.

Tommy

The Great Dane is not a big jumper, but you should rectify the situation. You can top the fence off without building a new one. Ask a contractor. You also could do invisible fencing, but that is not without issues. The main thing is that the other dog already does this and you need to get serious about taking care of that problem before getting another dog as they learn from one another. The fence is not the issue as much as the dog "constantly" getting out. This reflects a lack of supervision and lack of training. You need to account for this other dog and not simply leave it out unsupervised. They get bored, escape and get hit or lost. When the dogs are out, you are outside as well to play until they are done playing and done with their business, every single time. Otherwise, you need to set aside your idea of adoption until you can assure their safety.

Tommy answered on 8/16/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer