I am a paramedic and I want to get a dog.

I work 2-3 days a week. Shifts are 24hrs long. I am wondering what should be done for my pup/dog when I'm away? Is it ok for the dog to be alone for such a long period? And at what age is it ok to leave a puppy alone for a long period of time?

Asked by Member 1153839 on Feb 5th 2013 in The Dogster Website

Answers

I would suggest an adult dog for you. A rescue can help match you to a great dog that has been fostered with someone. You can find an older dog that does not need as much exercise, or have separation anxiety issues. Puppies are a ton of work, & working shifts as you do, it would not be fair to either of you. An older dog can be left alone for an extended period..but not 24 hours. You could hire a dog walker that can come & take the dog out 3 times during your shift. A dog can go overnight without going out, but would need to be let out at least 2 or 3 times during the day.

I agree with the other poster. An adult dog is the way to go and getting a dog walker is a good idea.

Tiara

Unless there is someone else at home, or you are going to pay someone to come in and take care of the dog for you. I would not get a dog. Dogs are not like cats, that you can leave for hours on end. I am sorry, but I just do not feel it would be right for a dog if you are gone that much

Tiara answered on 2/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer