Kadan

How to vaccinate 10 week old puppies with no prior vaccinations?

A neighbor of mine has two 10 week old alaskan malamute puppies that she was planning on dumping at the animal shelter, but instead I offered to take them from her and find them homes. At the shelter, they'd be exposed to God only knows what and she said they haven't had any shots yet. At 10 weeks old, what is the best way to go about a vaccination schedule? I usually vaccinate my dogs on my own at home, but have never had a case of an unvaccinated puppy this old. How many sets, and how often do you suppose I should give them?

Asked by Kadan on Oct 21st 2009 Tagged puppy, vaccinations, shots in Vaccinations

Answers

I would go ahead with the combo shot you may have given at 6 weeks now and another in 3 weeks and 3 weeks after that. Rabies as specified by state law.

give the shots as you would for a 6-8 month old puppy... and the rabies as your state requires. you did a good thing by helping those puppies, and who knows, you may just fall in love with them and end up keeping one or both of them. Good luck with finding them homes, if you aren't able to keep them.

Almost all of my puppies get their first shots between 9 and 10 weeks of age. Prior to that the mother's immunity is still present and the shot does no good, in fact there is some evidence that given too early it will actually interfere with the mother's immunity. Mine get the full series of three shots, usually 9 weeks, 13 weeks, 16 weeks and 20 weeks. Rabies is given usually around 14 weeks, but not at the same time as the other ones are given.

We vaccinate dogs in CT at 8, 12 & 16 weeks old. So they are 2 weeks late. If they are weaned they may not have any protection so have them vaccinated immediately.

Puppies receive anti bodies from their mothers from birth until a few weeks after weaning. The reason puppies are vaccinated at 8, 12, 16 weeks is the mothers anti bodies may over-ride any vaccine until 16 weeks of age. Key word MAY. If mom's immunity is up at 8 weeks a puppy would be vulnerable to disease unless vaccinated.