How to train an older dog to stop peeing on the floor?

My pug is a little over a year old, and still poops on the floor. I go to bed around ten, and let her out right before. I wake up in the morning at 6 o'clock and there is poop on the floor. I NEED help, she needs to learn, but I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Please help.

Signed,
Smelly Carpet

Asked by Member 1054931 on Sep 10th 2011 in House Soiling

Answers

❤  Sadie ❤

Can you crate her at night? Dogs won't 'go' In their own bedding/crate. Until she reliable not to go at night while you crate her I wouldn't give her full access at night.

❤ Sadie ❤ answered on 9/10/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If this is the only time she has accidents and she does ask to be let out during the day, it's not about being stubborn or slow to learn. Probably she can't hold herself for so long.

You might try feeding her at a different time (earlier or later). Or, you can make her get more used to holding it longer by crating her at night. Dogs usually will not soil their sleeping or eating areas. However, if the crate is too large she will use one side to use the bathroom. The crate should just be big enough for her to comfortably lie down, stand, and sit.

In addition to crating and changing her feeding, take her out for all her toilet trips to make sure she is going. A walk is likely to stimulate her to go. Each time she toilets outdoors,, praise her like crazy!!!

As annoying as it is, do not get upset when she has an accident, she may be confused and thinking she can avoid your annoyance by toileting at night.

If you have been free feeding, stop. She should have her dinner no later than 6:00 if she is going out at 10:00 for her last potty trip. A lot of dogs have the habit of eating after everyone goes to bed at night.