how to teach a puppy to not beg for human food

My 3 month old Pomeranian loves to beg and goes crazy whenever he sees any one of us eat. He jumps around crazy and does not listen, he is VERY persistant. He does this even after he just ate his meal. How do I teach him to leave a human alone when the person eats?

Thanks!

Asked by Member 937494 on Feb 18th 2010 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

It sounds like maybe he was already getting treats from the breeder or the home he was in before you got him.

So, first, never give him any of your food, under any circumstances. If you ever want to feed him healthy food, do so when you're preparing his meals, so he gets the idea in his head that he gets treats, but only at his meal time.

Also, totally ignore the behavior. Chances are, as he grows up, if nobody is reinforcing his belief that if he tries hard enough he'll get some of your food, then he'll calm down about it and relax.

But it's important to make sure you start now, while he's young, and that EVERYONE in the household does the same thing. If you have someone else who is giving him a piece of cheese, for example, then it's never going to work.

place some kibble in a dish for him at the same time.
If you can try to find a bowl that is hard to manage like the ones they sell for bloat and fast eating dogs.
I would not use it every time but when you are eating it would be a good tool
Then when he is several months old you can change the routine and train him to go lay down while you eat. (or for now just place him in a crate)

www.smartpakcanine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productClassId=4655

Lola

The best way to break this habit is to be consistent in disciplining your pup. You can say "no" and prick him gently on the neck with your index and middle finger until he gets the point or you can simply ignore him to let him know his behavior will not get him any attention. Reward him when he is behaving with a doggie treat.

These methods have worked for both my 2 year old dog and my current 13 week old puppy.

Lola answered on 2/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Gus Gus

My pup Gus Gus used to beg for food when he was much younger. He used to whine, and put his head on my lap. But I never once gave him food from the table. I started by completely ignoring the behaviour. The first meal I wore ear plugs (trust me it was the only way, and I kept my foot on his leash so he wouldn't try to jump up toward the food on the table. When he finally calmed down (and don't worry your dog will too) and had been quiet for a few minutes (starting with about two and working up), I put a treat (sometimes even some of the chicken I had been eating) in his dish. This worked like a charm. Now gus sleeps quietly under the table when we are eating dinner. And sometimes when I feel he's been especially good, or just because, I give him a treat from our meal in his bowl. The key is that he never gets human food from the table, or anywhere except from his dish. This way you can give your dog a treat, and still have a dog that doesn't drive you crazy! Hope this helps.

Gus Gus answered on 9/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Miley

you can try to train him leave it, and also if you eat in the kitchen or the dining room you can teach him the back command so that you can tell him back to get him out of the eating area. good luck.

Miley answered on 2/24/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This may seen very silly but the method works great for both pups and older dogs given exception to size.... As a pup anytime I/we ate anywhere...table/living room etc. I place my pup behind me where she was told to lay down and stay and physically kept during my meals. This way she doesn't see me/us eat and she won't drool. I kept this method until the present day where she now weighs 60 lbs. and now when we eat, if we are at the table she lays at my feet beside or behind my chair. No begging at all. Always try anything once or twice. Good Luck

I also have a Pomeranian pup who is very curious about human food. What we do is give him a treat (snack) whenever we eat or snack. Now he expects his treat but also leaves us alone and no longer begs. He eats his treat and is content.

Blinkey

you could just ignore him or put him in another room

Blinkey answered on 5/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Windy, Breezy, Stormy

I spend 2 days a month cooking for my girls. What a differnce in energy and health! They want what I am eating I (usually) ignore them depending on what I'm eating

Windy, Breezy, Stormy answered on 10/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ginger

Don't "prick him on the neck" and "tell him no"... You use confrontational and aggressive methods and it most often results in teaching your dog aggression. Studies prove this. Also, it makes no sense because you'd be giving him attention for begging which validates his begging.

All you need to do is completely ignore him so that his begging isn't being reinforced in any way. He'll see that begging gets him absolutely nothing so he'll give up because begging isn't working for him.

You could also teach him "place", which is when you teach him to remain on his bed or in his crate or some other place away from you when you're eating but this isn't necessary unless people feed him from the table despite you telling them not to.

Ginger answered on 3/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer