How to stop dogs from rolling in poop?

My dogs have been rolling in their poop. The smell of them after they roll in poop is so bad that we gag, it's so bad that we either have to put them outside or leave the room. I bathed them today and it took a while, right after I bathed them, they went back outside and rolled all in poop again! Why do dogs roll in their poop? How can I stop this? Is there anything I can feed them to stop them from rolling in their poop? My dogs eat and roll in gross things.

Asked by Member 930032 on Jun 14th 2011 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Jazzy

The gross truth is dogs eat and roll in gross things just because it smells good to them. Dogs have anal sacs 5 and 7 o'clock around their anus. These produce a type of pheromone (Sp?). If they like the smell of another's feces (or their own) they will roll in it. Think of it as them getting their own personal cologne/perfume lol. I know its gross cuz i have a dog that will do it if she finds any poop outside. We have to pick up their poo as soon as it lands on the ground. Maybe if you train them to leave it, that might help. other than i don't know what to tell you lol.

Jazzy answered on 6/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yep.
Either move the poop or the dog. Cause the two will get together....ewwwww.

Bella

Y I THOUGHT MY PUP WAS THE ONLY ONE but she lays to sleep on her own pee. She is trained on the pee pads bc we live in a apt plus there no animals allowed. She has her day bed in her play pen n in the other corner her pad when I get home she is sleepin on her pee pad n has her toys there too.... she also uses her bed...... help me too I wish I could help u but I can share ur frustration she smells like pee the whole time I wash her like almost every week.....

Bella answered on 6/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer