How to stop American Bulldog chewing furniture when we are not home?

My 1 year old American Bulldog/Presa Canario cross hadn't chewed on any furniture or walls in months. We had slowly started leaving him on the main floor of the house when we went out for a few hours, so he has room to roam and play instead of being stuck in his excercise pen.

This past week, he chewed a corner of our VERY expensive coffee table, and then last night we came home to an ENTIRE LEG chewed almost off!!! It looks like a beaver went at it.

-He is always excercised vigourously before we head out (i.e. yesterday he was at the dog park for over an hour right before and was exhausted when we left him)
-He has been trained with positive reinforcement not to chew things in the house, and he's very good with this
-When we leave him alone, he always has heavy duty chew toys - two Kongs (one filled with frozen peanut butter) and a deer antler.
-He pees/poos before we leave

I don't know what else to do. Is he just too young to leave outside of his pen alone?

Asked by Member 1105308 on Apr 11th 2012 Tagged americanbulldog, chewing, training in Chewing

Answers

Maggie Mae

I would say yes, he is too young for this right now. American Bulldogs tend to mature slower when it comes to chewing on things. I've had 3 generations of these guys and gotta love 'em but geez! I could show you some damage pictures. By now I'm a pro and you will be able to leave him home when he's about 3. Keep trucking, and my guys love the cage so much that they'll go in there just for a mid afternoon nap ... door open. It kinda became their safe haven, their room. I'm sure there exceptions to this rule though for whoever reads this and has the perfect ABD.

Maggie Mae answered on 4/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Carter

You are doing the right thing with frozen peanut butter and and all that.You can buy a chew deterrent at any pet supplies store. Usually its bitter apple and dogs hate the taste of it.

Carter answered on 4/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer