How to stop a neighbor from trying to hurt my dogs!!???

I have this neighbor that I have had problems with. I started putting up rope to keep him from parking in my yard and every since i have done that he is throwing bear cans, tabbaco cases and ciggerettes over my fence so my dogs get it. One of my dogs seem to do nothing but try to eat the cigarettes. How do I make this stop. I don't want to wait till my dogs swallow something and get sick/ blackage.

What can I do to stop this? I know he is the one doing it I have seen him doing it. He has no respect for anyone's property and doesn't seem to care about trying to hurt animals to get what he wants. What can I legally do?

I live in northern Florida if that helps to figure out what legally can be done here. Every state seems to have different laws.

Asked by Member 957093 on Feb 22nd 2010 in Other Laws & Legislation

Answers

Call your local police.

Hector

I don't know Fla. Laws, but if you were to be able to get this on video, you would have a better case. Be very careful of your actions though. Even though your neighbor is clearly in the wrong here, you don't want to do something to put your pets safety in jeopardy, and the fact of being right doesn't really matter if your pet suffers the consequences.

It may be worth swallowing pride, and just try to make peace with this neighbor. It would certainly relieve you from worrying about your dogs. Maybe even if just a friendly conversation, while outside, might be enough to let your neighbor know, that you aren't so bad after all, and possibly gaining a little respect for you and your property.

It may or may not work, but it would certainly be worth the effort, for the sake of your animals. I would be scared to death to ever leave them alone if I were in your position, so I really hope something works out for you, without the cost of one of your pets health or life.

Hector answered on 2/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I would call the police or report him to the local humane society. If you explain that he is putting your dogs in danger, then they should do something about it.

You can set out a hidden video camera, and when he starts throwing things into your yard, the video camera will catch him. If you do this, then you can show the police the video, and they will put a stop to this.

In some states, it is illegal to videotape or record a person without their consent, so I'd look into that first. I don't want you to end up being the one in trouble instead of this jerk!

I agree with the others that said you need to call the police. Or, if can, go down to the police station and see what your options are. You may be able to file a criminal trespassing complaint against him. The police would normally either mail him the complaint or stop by and have a friendly chat with him about not going over to your yard or harassing your animals.

If you can get any other neighbors to go with you, all the better. More people witnessing strange things that might be criminal is more compelling than just one person complaining.

In the meantime, try keeping the dogs inside if you can. They are safer in the house anyway, but especially with this creep out there.

Spike

Look I am expireinced about laws and stuff because.......Well that isn't important what is important is the health of your dogs and that is ilegal first because it is littering. Second is because your yard is private property so they had no business parking there in the first place. Third it's animal cruelty the dogs could choke so he's putting them at risk. All you have to do is call the cops and tell them that he is throwing trash in your yard and he won't be able to get out of because you had a rope up which counts as a legal berrier then they'll get arrested and you won't have anymore problems. But so you know they'll let your neighbor off with a strong warning and if they do anything else call the cops and report them. Oh yeah about the dot dot dot in the first line I've had a few expirences in my life that I have left behind me that I don't like talking about because people would look at me different when I walk down the street if they knew. (IT DOESN'T HAVE TO DO WITH ANIMALS)

Spike answered on 2/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Oh, I use to have one of these. Call the police, throwing garbage, cans ect is Tresspassing, tell them you want to issue a trespassing ticket. Take pics and also set up a camera. Proof is all you need.
This law is the same everywhere it is your property and you have the right to protect it.
Do you pay taxes on it? Does it pay taxes on it ? no he doesn't , he is being a very mean person and you have to let them know it is not acceptable.
use your camera or video camera to prove to the police that he is doing it.
I had to move to rid myself of my mean neighbor you might want to consider that as well.
Let someone else deal with him.
If he is parking in your yard have his car towed.
You have power over your real estate and now it seems he is also trashing your property and causing disturbance of the peace and littering. Be careful but be empowered.

Install a cc camera and catch him in the act, then call the police or go see them with the tape and get an AVO on him.

Taz

First off, call the local police, if they can't do anything, put up an 8ft privacy fence. If he still does it, start putting all the dog poop from your yard plus the garbage he's been throwing into his yard.

Taz answered on 4/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer