Gypsy

How to prepare Deer antlers for dogs?

I have a few hunter friends (they do it for food) and was wondering about the antlers. How do you clean them? Also, how old should the antler be before you wouldn't use it?

Asked by Gypsy on Nov 16th 2011 Tagged deerantlers in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

I agree with Bruno..MINUS the bleach. Antlers are porous & bleach can leach into the antlers. You could boil them for 5 minutes, or freeze them for a month, but as bruno said..dogs eat way worse things they find everyday. Lucky you to have an antler supply!

answered on Nov 17th.

Answers

I don't think it really matters. Dogs like clean antlers, dirty antlers, fresh antlers, old antlers, etc. REALLY old antlers that have been out in the weather are brittle though and shouldn't be used.

You could rinse them in bleach water or freeze them for a month to sterilize them, but I don't think it's necessary. Dogs eat dirtier stuff than fresh antlers all the time.

I saw mine into smaller pieces so they don't stab themselves in the eyes with the points while chewing them. Otherwise, I just hand them out and sit back and watch the fun.