how to keep my Jack Russell/Dachshund from barking too much

I am about to get this 1 1/2 yr. old odg from my mother-in-law because she can't take the barking. How do I train it to be quieter?

Asked by Member 1104496 on Apr 6th 2012 Tagged jackrusselldachshundmix, barking, training in Behavior & Training

Answers

Raven

My previous dog barked all the time, I bought a bark collar and it eventually stopped her from barking all the time. Good luck.

Raven answered on 4/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Riley

There are a couple of different tactics to try. I personally would not use a bark collar because I don't like the idea of shocking my dog, though I am sure it is effective. We got the "bark off" gadget that worked really well, but we left it on accidentally and he got used to it. Now I am going to try positive reinforcement with behavior redirection to get him to stop. My plan is to every time he barks to say a command, maybe "enough" or "done" and treat as soon as he stops barking after I say it. Hopefully that will work.

Riley answered on 4/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with the behavioral approach, but have a bit of a different suggestion. Dogs do what gets them attention, so if you respond to the barking, they consider it a bark back, and it is, opposite of what you want, a positive re-inforcement of their behavior.

Unless the dog is barking for a good reason (i.e. it is being left outside all the time or ignored all the time, or is being directly provoked), simply ignore it. If you are playing with it and it starts barking, immediately stop play and walk away. If you're preparing its meal and it barks at you, immediately stop what you're doing and walk away with your arms crossed. Resume either ONLY once the dog has stopped barking.

They're smart! They'll pick it up.