JD

HOW TO FIND YOUR BLOODLINE FOR YOUR PITBULL

I HAVE A PITBULL AND IM ABOUT TO START BREEDING HIM. HES CKC REG AND AKC REG. I HAVE HIS AP# AND REG NUMBER BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT BLOODLINE HE IS FROM AND I WANT TO KNOW. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND THIS INFO OUT? THANK YOU ALL....

Asked by JD on Aug 29th 2008 Tagged pitbullbreedbloodline in Breeds

Answers

American Pit Bull Terriers cannot be AKC registered. Are you sure you don't mean American Staffordshire Terrier?

Anyway... your breed mentor or the breed club you've been in contact with should be able to tell you how to trace your dog's pedigree.

Your dog is only a year old...too young to have had his proper health testing done to prove he is of sound breeding stock. There are too many pit bulls dying in shelters every day to breed anything less than extremely excellent quality that has been proven in some way. It sounds like you still have a lot of studying to do.

Good breeders study for years and have a good experienced and ethical mentor before they breed. Plus, they get quality dogs and KNOW THE DOG'S BLOODLINE long before they decide to breed the dog.
Good breeders also do a lot of health tests, not just a vet check. The main health tests are OFA (checks for hip dysplicia) and CERF (checks for genetic eye disorders). These tests cannot be certified until the dog is two years old. There are other tests as well.
I hope that you want to breed for the right reason (for the health of the dog breeds), but that's unlikely since you dog is one year old (which means he hasn't had the right health testing yet) and you say that you are about to breed him.
I beg you to reconsider.
Please see:
cookiemiller.tripod.com

Zack

Please check your AKC registration papers very carefully - American Pit Bull Terriers are not a breed that is recognized by the AKC. It would have to be an American Staffordshire Terrier. You would most likely have to know the correct breed to begin tracing the bloodlines. Start with the person you got your dog from - do you know who your dog's parents are? Maybe you can work from there. Also, please do not breed your dog unless you are ABSOLUTELY SURE you can find good (life-long) homes for all of the puppies - Petfinder lists at least 25 pit bulls and staffordshire terriers in shelters within 20 miles of my house, and I live in a remote rural area.

Zack answered on 8/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Braesal

I would think twice before you move forward with breeding. Pit Bulls in general are a very misunderstood breed. I do a lot of volunteer animal welfare work and transportation of pets between shelters. Take a look at how many unwanted pit bulls are sitting in kill and no kill sheleters before you add to the population.

Braesal answered on 1/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer