Desmond CGC

How tall do you think my Standard Poodle will be?

He's 48 lbs and 24.5 inches at the withers right now at 8 1/2 months. At the dog park he's been taller than all the other adult standards we've seen, so I kind of wonder how much taller he will get. It really doesn't matter, I'm more just curious and asking for fun. :) I do love big dogs though, more to cuddle!
About what age is it that standard poodles stop growing anyway? I hear around 18-24 months?

Asked by Desmond CGC on Dec 5th 2009 Tagged tall, height, weight, size, growing, growth in Puppies

Answers

I checked the AKC breed standard...there is no upper limit on size, all it states for a standard poodle is "over 15". Off hand I'd guess he'd be around 26" as most of his growing is done. If he continues to grow rapidly prehaps there may be a pituitary problem.

B.J., CGC

Some dogs within a breed reach their adult height by 8 or 9 months, some take much longer, up to two years or more. When I used to breed labs I had one line that would be as tall as they were ever going to get by 7 months old, and another line that would grow up to four inches between 9 months and two years of age. Soo, you need to find out what is the growth tendency in Desmond's lineage. Check with his breeders and see what their guesstimates are.

B.J., CGC answered on 12/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Seth

At that age , i would say it has reached its height it is going to be. It may get a touch taller but from here on out the dog should just fill lout more. Good luck with your dog.

Seth answered on 12/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

At that age, likely he is starting to level off. He may continue to grow for a while, but likely very slowly. The larger the dog, the longer it grows.

Check the ends of the leg bones. If they are still much knobbier than an adult's, the growth plates are still open and it is still growing. If not, do not expect much more growth.

You may find this link interesting, jn.nutrition.org

Samson

My male standard poodle weighs 80 pounds (just took him to the vet for a checkup). I am not sure of the height, but I am tall (5'9") and his head comes past my stomach. He is a big boy, about 4 years old now. He probably stopped growing when he was around 2. Hope that helps.

Samson answered on 5/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer