Juno

How sick is my dog?

I haven't taken her to a vet yet because:
1. I live off the road system in AK and the only way to a vet is a plane to the city.
2. It will cost about $1000 round trip to send her alone, plus it would be incredibly stressful for her.
3. I don't have enough personal days to go with her, I could lose my job if I go.

Last SUNDAY, my 6 month puppy got loose and I don't know what she could have gotten into while out. She also destroyed my featherbed that evening and swallowed a lot of feathers.

WEDNESDAY, she threw up immediately after eating. THURSDAY she didn't want to eat and continued to vomit.

She stopped eating hardly anything after that. Her stools are loose, black and tarry. The smell is like an old dog that needs a bath.. strange.

She is still drinking plenty of water and acting completely normal. Her eyes are bright and she has lots of energy.

What could it be? I've been giving her pedialyte but no other treatment. She won't touch rice.

Asked by Juno on Mar 20th 2012 in Swallowing Foreign Objects

Best Answer

Have to say, this sounds BAD. Black, tarry stools are a sure sign of bleeding in the esophagus, stomach, or upper intestine. (blood turns black after it's been processed through the intestine.) If she's refusing to eat, that's a sure sign of stomach pain as well, even if she looks normal otherwise.

I'm sorry, but there is a strong chance this is life-threatening. She may have a puncture or tear in her stomach, or a blockage with ischemia (lack of blood flow, which causes tissue death.) This is REALLY serious.

Can you at least CALL a vet and describe all her symptoms?

Bruno CGC answered on Mar 20th.

Answers

She may also have a blockage that is also life-threatening. I would at least call the vet.