Joe

how should we treat a dog?

many friends of mine say that we should treat dog like a person, and we should regard them like human beings. but, i think it need to talk in figures. let's just talk about it? friends..

Asked by Joe on Sep 10th 2012 in Dogs and a Clean Home

Answers

some people treat their dogs like humans and the dogs turn out to start taking control over their lives but some treat them like their a human and a dog mixed together and they respect and love that person and the person is the alpha in that relationship (that's how i treat my dog and no matter what happens shes always by my side no matter what) and others treat the dogs like true dogs and the dog still treats the owner with respect and don't try to dominate any other dog or person

Dogs aren't humans and would not enjoy being treated exactly like humans. They are a different creature and have different needs than humans do.

That said, they do enjoy being talked to. I talk to my dogs almost like I would another person, and always have.

Should they be treated ethically? Certainly. I'm staunchly against animal cruelty.
However, they are animals.
In some countries dogs are bred and raised for food. And while we here in the States tend to cringe at the thought, it's no different than breeding and raising cattle for food. As long as they don't use anyone's pets, I'm not against it.
Dogs and other animals kill and eat each other--it's part of their instinct.
Dogs may be domesticated, but they still have their prey drive and the ability to kill other animals. And their prey drive has been put to good use by humanity in more ways than one--herding, hunting, ratting, etc.

Becca

Dogs don't like vacillation, so...
If you want a Dog to be a "companion" only, then it's ok to be more cuddly with it, sorta like you would with a small kid, but...
If you want it/them to serve you, like for security (that's the way I use them) then you need to keep a little "emotional" separation, where they can focus on their jobs.

Becca answered on 9/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Takoda

The answer is we need to treat them like dogs, because that is what they are, not human. However, some people have the wrong impression of why to have a dog. They are not an accessory or conversation piece. They are a responsibility and and have certain needs. They will look for leadership and purpose and love. If treated properly they will reward you far more than you give to them. Do breed research and when in doubt error on the side of love rather than neglect.

Takoda answered on 10/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer