How should I get my dog to not be overweight?

I posted another question about fetch because I thought might help her to not be overweight. She is not a lot overweight just a little.

Asked by Member 1116541 on Aug 28th 2012 in Obesity

Answers

Measure out her food in a measuring cup before you give it to her. Scale back a little if she is getting too chunky.

As mentioned, measuring out her food will make a big difference. On the back of your dog food bag there should be a chart, weight to portion ratio. Maybe feed a little less than what is recommended. Also, there are a lot of people who who believe in free feeding, which is great if you have a dog that wont sit at the bowl all day (mine would!), but for others, feeding in meals is ideal.
Exercise is a big one! I dont think I need to explain :) five minutes a day makes a big difference!
Treats, treats, treats! Even a little bit can pack on the pounds. If she gets plenty of them, try reducing that before her food.
If none of these seem to help and she just isnt losing weight, thyroid may come into play. Althoygh it isnt as common in younger dogs, it never hurts to get bloodwork done :)
I hope this helps! :)

Kazba

I think it would be a good idea to start slowly cutting back on the food. But just a small amout at a time. You do not want to make a dramatic change in the amount of food you give all at once. I also put my dog on a weight loss food. We used the Nutro weight food and it did help my old bit to drop some weight

Kazba answered on 8/31/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer