How old is too old to fix a dog?

My recently adopted 8 year old golden is unfixed. My husband and I are trying to weigh the pros and cons of getting her fixed at this advanced age. She is also overweight, which I've heard can lead to complications.

Asked by Member 979164 on Apr 17th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

To me, the two biggest pros are to prevent pyometria, which is an extremely serious uterine infection, more common in older females and to prevent having to deal with the heats, bleeding all over, males pursuing her, etc.
First get her tested for hypothyroid, work on the weight, then do the spay!
Thanks for adopting an older girl... the older ones deserve homes the most, and they have the hardest times finding them!

It is quite common to retire breeding stock at near that age and spay them at that time. It is also easy to underestimate how careful you need to be to prevent an accidental breeding. A pregnancy among other things would be hard on her now. Talk to your vet as soon as you can and get it done before you have to go trough the hassle, mess, and risks of her going through a season.

Teddy

I don't know if there is an age limit, but your vet will do some testing to make sure she is healthy enough to undergo the anethesia. I do know that there are complications later in life, by not having them fixed. I saw my friends pom suffer over this.

As far as the weight thing goes. You can probably help take a few pounds off. Just give her valuable nutrition, and if she is healthy enough, lots of walks and play time. I'll bet she will be at a happy healthy weight in no time. If she is use to laying around alot due to neglect, it may take a while to get her back into the swing of life, but a little at a time, she will remember what its like to be a golden again.

And to repeat Toto, Kudo's to you for considering an older dog. If I am ever in a position to adopt again, I will definately adopt an older dog, and/or a special needs dog. My 18 year old samoyed was both. She brought more to my life than I ever imagined.

The best of luck to you all!!! Hats off to you for sure!

Teddy answered on 4/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer