How old is to old to breed?

My dog jaydah(registered Boston terrier) is 6 years old. She's as obedient as they come and built just right. Someone asked us to breed our jaydah with his stud but, I'm worried my dog is to old.....and how do I even know if breeding her is a good idea?

Asked by Member 1070232 on Nov 12th 2011 Tagged breeding, pregnancy, bostonterriers in Pregnancy

Best Answer

Six years is usually the age where breeders retire their bitches (legit term in this case, not profanity) from breeding. I have heard of some breeders breeding at an older age (one dog was ten), but not often.

Actually there is a lot more to breeding than most people realize (or practice, for that matter). For example, do you know how to prevent an STD? (Yep, dogs can get those.) Do you know what health tests need to be done first? A clean bill of health from the vet is *not* all you need. She should be free of genetic diseases as well, such as vonWillebrand's disease (and others). Even if she doesn't have it, she could pass it onto offspring.
If you ask me, breeding would probably not be a good idea. But if you're willing to do the research, find a good mentor, and see if your dog is breeding quality, to try to do this responsibly, then more power to you. We need more breeders who are actually responsible and know what they are doing.

Just know you won't know all you'll need to know about this overnight. I used to be very adement about becoming a breeder. (I still want to be one one day, but right now I have other things to worry about.) I researched it for several years. But I have mostly booklearning, so I am not ready to be a breeder yet. (Plus my dog is so not breeding quality. He's fixed anyways.) I'd still need a good mentor, so that I can get some practical experience, and learn more.

Gray Dawn Treader answered on Nov 12th.

Answers

I would never breed a maiden bitch after five years of age. One who has had a previous litter I would not breed past six. Too many serious problems affecting both the female and the pups can occur when older females are expected to carry and have puppies.
Have you had all her pre-breeding screening done? In the Boston this includes a DNA test for both PRA and cataracts, a CERF eye exam, OFA patella and spine certification and BAER hearing testing, as well as several others which slip my mind right now.
All of these tests ARE very expensive and require specialists.
Breeding is about way more than just being built just right in YOUR mind. Has she been shown to see how she stacks up against others of her breed? She should also be evaluated by a person experienced in the breed.
Breeding a Boston involves real risk for a c-section, add another $1500 to the costs for that, and, if you are lucky, your beloved female AND the pups will survive but it doesn't always happen that way.

I wouldn't breed her. People are always approached for breeding. Most times people want to make money on the puppies. If you are a good breeder and do it correctly, you don't make any money. You are lucky if you break even because of all the costs associated with doing it right. Breeding should be done only for the love of it and to better the breed. If someone just approached you for breeding, then walk away and say no. Good Luck!