How old is my adopted Golden Retriever?

She weighs approx. 45 lbs and has adult teeth with some tarter. Thats about all the vet mentioned when I took her for her rabbies vacc.

Asked by Member 875398 on Sep 10th 2009 Tagged dogage in Golden Retriever

Answers

It's very hard to tell. The vet could get you an educated guess based on body condition, etc if you ask him specifically. Though, that's not always accurate either. One of the vets at the clinic we use thought that my Papillon mix was one year old, while another seemed to feel that the shelter's guess (three years at his time of adoption in 2007) was accurate. I recently had the good fortune of meeting his former owner, and found out that he is 3 to four years old this year.

We could give you a guess, too, if you provided a few pictures. Though our guess will probably not be as good as the vet's would.

Most adult Goldens would be more than 45 pounds, but few 4-5 months olds would have their complete adult teeth, let alone long enough to accumulate tartar.

Check the ends of the leg bones. If they are still much knobbier than an adult's, the growth plates are still open and it is still growing. If not, do not expect much more growth.