How old does a puppy have to be to dock his tail???

Now I'm usually against cutting body parts but my rottweiler/beagle chews his tail till its bloody. He even crys as he does it. But he's already 4 months. and I was told they have to be real young.

Asked by Member 860853 on Jul 30th 2009 Tagged chewingtail in Health & Safety

Answers

Charley

Tails are usually docked when puppies are days old, before they are up and walking. I think I read someplace that tails were docked at two days. I would ask your vet on what to do or someone who had to have their dog's tail docked for some reason.

Charley answered on 7/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zack

I think puppies with docked tails usually have them docked when they are 2-4 days old. Docking the tail of a four month old puppy is probably going to be painful and would take longer to heal. Not to mention your dog would probably need to be put under anesthesia and have a veterinarian do the procedure. That could get expensive fast. If the procedure is done wrong he could get an infection or be in pain for a long time.

I would go to your veterinarian and have them run some tests to see if there is a medical reason he is chewing his tail (allergies, parasites, etc.) and if so, look for a treatment method.

If it is simply a behavioral problem, I would try to find an experienced behaviorist who can assist you with this before you consider cutting the dog's tail off. A behaviorist could probably give you some suggestions of ways to redirect the inappropriate behavior to something else.

Zack answered on 7/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Have you considered that maybe he chews his tail because he may have an allergy?
Food allergies can cause a dog to chew the base of it's tail or it's paws.
Check out the food your feeding him and if it contains a lot grains, try a higher grade of food that doesn't contain grains. No wheat, gluten or corn.
Maybe if it does turn out to be allergies you won't have to dock his tail.

Tail docking is best done when the dog is only days old. At this time, they're nervous system isn't fully functional. Or so I've read.

To fix this problem, I don't think the answer is docking. It may be allergies. Zero in on the cause, and find possible treatments, before you do that. Only dock as a very last resort.

Bailey

I know that we had to have our Mini-Schnauzers tails docked before they were 2 weeks old, if done after that, then it's concidered a surgery.

Bailey answered on 7/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer