How old do dobermans have to be before you can breed them?

I recently adopted a 6 month old doberman, that was on the list to be put down at the humane society. I have a friend with a male doberman that would like to breed with mine, and was not sure when is a good age to breed them.

Thank you.

Asked by Member 985084 on May 3rd 2010 in Puppies

Answers

Oliver

Im just wondering with the amount of dogs dying in shelters everyday,why would you want to breed him/her anyways? You saved him/her from death, why take a chance of the puppies ending up on a kill list?

Oliver answered on 5/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zack

If the dog came from the humane society, the best age is NEVER. Think about it - this dog was in the shelter because the original breeder couldn't find it a good home - why would you create more puppies that are going to be just as difficult to place?

I'm surprised they didn't make you sign paperwork agreeing to have her spayed - most places like that do.

Do you have any proof the dog is purebred or of breeding quality? Chances are, if she wound up at the humane society on the euth list, she isn't breeding quality.

If you want to breed in the future, find a reputable mentor, research the breed and know what to look for. Then you can think about purchasing a breeding quality dog in a few years.

Sorry to be blunt, but most shelters are overwhelmed with dogs that came from plans like yours, and are going bankrupt/out of business because they can't afford to care for them all.

I have 3 Humane Society dogs - I love them all, but they are not breeding quality.

Zack answered on 5/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

ummm... NEVER! You "adopted" her. That means you are being a responsible person and contributing to society. Not adding to the overcrowding of unwanted dogs in the shelters. don't be stupid.

Sprite

If your dog was about to be put down at a humane society, the worst thing you can do is breed her! Thousands of dogs are sent to humane societies - and euthanized - every year. Why risk increasing that amount? Please, spay your dog. She will be much happier.

Sprite answered on 5/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Usually shelters have a policy that you *must* spau or neuter the dog within a certain amount of time after adopting it, by legal obligation. I'm guessing such is not the case here...?
First, let me say that age is only a small part of the matter. There's much, much more to responsible breeding. I'm not exaggerating when I say you need to study the subject for at least two years and spend time gaining experience and knowledge with a mentor before becoming a breeder. The purpose is to learn to do things the best and safest way for all involved (as breeding is quite risky, actually)--not to mention making sure that you're breeding a dog with healthy genes to pass on.
ANYWAYS, TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, both male and female need to be at least two years old. This for maturity reasons, but mostly because there is important health testing that cannot be certified until this age.

ALL THAT SAID, A dog from a humane society is very UNLIKELY to be breeding quality as dogs from truly reputable breeders rarely find their way into shelters because the breeder has the buyer sign a contract stating that, among other things, the dog will be returned to him if he cannot keep him at any point in the dog's life. Most dogs from a shelter will not pass health tests, may not be bodily sound, do not fit the breed standard exceptionally well, and may not have the appropiate temperament for the breed.

I admire the passion shown by previous posters, but I must say that their answers weren't very helpful. You don't know these things, you need someone to explain them to you. Not yell at you. I've found through experience that anger rarely does any good. That said, I can also understand why they do it. Totally. Why, not six months ago, I woulda joined in with them.

My website is an *introduction* to the world of responsible dog breeding:
cookiemiller.tripod.com
~Tiffany, breeder-in-training

Rambo

Um....now this is a very ironic question. You got her from the Humane society because she was scheduled to be put down and now you want to add to the population that caused her to be put on that list. Lets see here, if she has 8 puppies that will most likely end being at least 3 more dogs on death row.
Seriously, get her spayed...those puppies do not deserve to die

Rambo answered on 5/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Please do not breed. We have a byb here and his dogs end up at shelters all the time.
He breeds them and then people don't understand how to train them and then they get out of hand so they dump them off.
A doberman should be 2 yrs old, health certified, hips, elbows, and eyes.
Also the dog should be temperment tested CGC, and titled for work and show.
Which would put your dog at 2-4 yrs old before you get all of that done.
Breeding is far beyond what you think. People Must make sure all dog stock is 100% healthy with no health defects of any kind to be a good breeder.
Be kind and spay and neuter your dogs.
If she was to be put down she might have a health issue or she has an inappropriate temperment.
Tell your friend no.

dont bc most dogs that get breed are ushal put down bc they cant find homes so NEVER but if u really want to its when ever she goes in to heat for the 3rd time