Liza

How often should my dog poop?

My dog ( a mixed breed puppy, about 4 months old) poops four times a day! We take her out in the morning (about 7 am) and she poops right away. I come home at lunch ( about 12:30 pm) and she poops as soon as she gets outside (twice I have been unable to come home at lunch, and both times she has pooped in her crate). I take her out agian as soon as I get home (5:30 pm)...again she poops almost immediately. And she always poops again before bedtime (usually 10 pm). She eats well, is a healthy weight, and seems to be in great shape. Is going this often normal?

Asked by Liza on Sep 10th 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Shiloh

BOL! Sounds like your little pup tends to poop a lot! Anyways, is her stool liquid or maybe does it even have blood? If not, then I'm sure she's fine. But if yes, consult an expert vet. She might have parvovirus.

Shiloh answered on 9/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

What is she fed? I've found that dogs on poor quality foods tend to poop more. The theory is, the more unnecessary ingredients the food contains, the less the dog's body can actually use, so the more comes out the other end.
This is not the only possibility, however.

When I switched my Papillon mix to a natural raw diet, which is 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ, he began pooping once a day. Sometimes he goes an entire day without pooping. Plus, his stool is smaller, firmer, and less stinky.
My GSD, who is fed a decent brand of kibble (Chicken Soup), poops about once or twice a day. She used to get lots of goop poop on other brands, but she has firmer stools now.
Dogs do not need grains or veggies in their diet. So it's important to read the ingredients labels on your dog's food. While even the grocery store brands contain the nutrients necessary for life, they tend to have lots of things that the dog cannot use in them because they don't use species-appropiate ingredients. The main thing to look for in dog food is meat as the first ingredient. Preferrably meat meal, or several meats and meat meal. Other things to look for is an absense of corn. As I said, dogs do not need grains, so the less grains the better. However, there are some excellent brands (like Solid Gold, which I'm getting in a couple of months as part of a rotation diet for my GSD, since I found a dealer today) out there that are grain-heavy. That said, if you ask me, nothing can beat a home-prepared prey model raw diet. It just takes research and know-how to feed properly. It's not so simple as tossing your dog a chicken leg every night. Though once you know what to do, it's not difficult either.

All that said, it is important that you do your own research, look at both sides, and come to your own conclusion on pet foods. Happy researching!

Yogi

Doggies are like people and they all have their own schedule. As long as they seem like healthy ones, which it sounds like they are, there really is nothing to worry about. You didn't mention how often you feed her, but dogs (especially puppies) will often go after each meal. Their digestive tract is short and so processing doesn't take long! I would not worry about it. Especially if it is her "norm". If you see noticable changes, that might be an indicator of something wrong. Happy pooping!

Yogi "Owen" answered on 9/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If she poops in the morning, lunch and evening, before she has eaten, then her bowels have been full for awhile. Uncomfortable.
She needs more time after eating to digest and should be walked before you leave so she poops and pees. Within an hour of eating a puppy or dog should need to poop. If she had not gone before you leave for work, she will be desperate shortly after you leave.
Are her poops well formed or too soft?
I also wonder how much food you are feeding (each meal/per day) how large she is and expected adult weight? Brand of food?

Jet

I think it's normal.

I'm not sure how much you're supposed to feed a dog like that, but it's possible you may be feeding your dog a little too much. Talk to your vet about it, and maybe your vet will know. Paw mail me if you need anything else!

Lots of Licks,

Jet

Jet answered on 9/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I also have a dog- a boston terrier and she also poops 4x a day. she is 11 months old. I already changed her food to a better quality (no grains,no wheat, very simple ingredients) and yet she still poops 4-5x a day (8 am,11 4pm , 7 pm) her poop is solid but it bothers me why she poops so frequent. how is your dog now? any advice?

claire