Bowser/Ludo/Gimli

How often should I bottle feed a 3 week old puppy?

I have a shitzu/papillion mix puppy who is very very small and will not be larger than 4 pounds. He is 3 weeks and I would like to know how often and how much formula in ounces for every feed should I feed him?

Asked by Bowser/Ludo/Gimli on Sep 19th 2009 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Vinnie My Guardian Angel

First, Why do you have a 3 week old puppy? That is far too young for a pup to be taken away from his mom.
Since you do (I assume), feed milk w/ a bottle dropper every 2-3-4 hours. If, you want the little guy to live.. If you don't care, he will not survive.
How can you have a 3 week old puppy? Don't you know that's far too young for a pup to be away from it's mommy?
However,feed every 2 to 3 hours, milk formula, with a bottle dropper, or a tiny bottle. Milk/ high protein. FEED!

Vinnie My Guardian Angel answered on 9/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

B.J., CGC

DO NOT USE MILK..... it doesn't have the proper nutrients. You need to use a formula made for puppies such as esbilac or just born, available at your vet's office or some better pet stores.

B.J., CGC answered on 9/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Boston

PMR is what you need. Its a puppy replacement milk. Found in some pet stores but mostly at vet clinics. Its one of the best out there for formula puppy milk. I used the KMR which is the kitten version for Sasha as I found her smaller then my hand near death at my door. Thats what I fed her. She is almost a year and bigger then I thought shed get! So its good stuff. It comes in powder version which is the kind you have to make yourself or the canned liquid already made version.

Boston answered on 9/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

1st off a Pap/Shitzu WILL mature out at larger than 4 lbs...If he doesn't it is only because he is sickly!
2nd this pup NEEDS it's mother still!!...If that isn't possible get to the vet for puppy milk replacer & guidance on feedign & caring for the pup!
This is just too sad.