Precious

How often am I supposed to bathe my dog??

I have a Yorkie, and a Shih-tzu. I was bathing them once a week, but skin was irritated, and they kept itching. How often am I supposed to bathe them?

Asked by Precious on Oct 5th 2011 Tagged bathe, itching, irritated in Bathing

Answers

Starbutt

I do mine when they stink.

Rhayden

Starbutt answered on 10/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Petri, I flagged your answer because it's a blatant sales pitch , which is against the Dogster Terms of Service.

'The dogster.com service is made available for your personal, non-commercial use only. Businesses, organizations or other legal entities may not use the dogster.com service for any purpose," however, because we want to allow some flexibility to accommodate active members of the Community who wish to mention a product or service as part of their pet's life, our only caveat is that members don't use their Pet Page as a blatant sales and/or marketing tool. In the public Forums, members are allowed to post about their product or service as it relates to the life of their dog in context of an existing Forum discussion, as long as they're not "pitching" the business or product.'

I consider it "pitching" when every answer you give is telling people to use your products.

Precious, I think your problem is not bathing too often, it's more likely not rinsing out all the shampoo.

I have show poodles and they are bathed once a week. I am also a groomer and I find the two most common causes of irritation from bathing are #1 - failure to rinse well... You need to rinse and rinse and when you think all the soap is rinsed out, rinse again!
#2 - using an inappropriate shampoo... select one that is mild and not drying. There are a million choices but look for ingredients like aloe, awapuhi, oatmeal, tea tree oil, etc., ones that are especially designed for gentle cleansing and moisturizing.
Things to stay away from are harsh shampoos like flea and tick shampoo, medicated ones, ones designed for oily coats, etc. Surprisingly, Johnsons and Johnsons baby shampoo is one of the most harsh shampoos out there for dogs!!!

Bathe them with a high quality dog shampoo, NOT anything like Hartz or Top Paw. I highly recommend using a higher quality shampoo, I recommend Earthbath, Natural Chemistry De Flea Pet Shampoo and NuHemp Shampoo. You can bathe your dog as much as you want with a natural and/or organic shampoo since it won't irritate the skin or coat. Dogs who are bathed with a low quality brand can NOT be bathed a lot, low quality brands of shampoo are horrible for a dog.

I bathe my dogs every month with the high quality shampoos I listed above, they work great.

If she has been itching a lot, it could definitely be her dog food, too. Dogs who are fed low quality brands such as Purina, Pedigree, Iams, Science Diet, Royal Canin, Bil Jac, etc., can definitely have itchy, irritated skin. As I can see from your profile, you feed Iams Healthy Naturals which is NOT a good brand of dog food whatsoever. Here are the list of bad ingredients in Iams Healthy Naturals - Lamb meal (could definitely not be real lamb), brewer's rice, corn meal, ground whole grain sorghum, chicken by-product meal, corn grits, ground whole grain barley, dried beet pulp, dried egg product, monosoduim phosphate, salt, etc. This food will and can cause a lot of health problems in a pet.

What's REALLY in pet food? -

www.bornfreeusa.org

Dog food brands I highly recommend -

Orijen
Acana
Solid Gold
Primal Pet Foods
Holistic Selects
Honest Kitchen

If you're interested in feeding a raw food diet or a home cooked diet, check out the Dogster Raw Food Diet and Home Prepared Foods and Recipes Forums -

www.dogster.com

www.dogster.com

Other essentials for itchy skin is -

Cinnamon
Garlic powder
Peppermint oil
Clove oil
Lavender oil
Rosemary
Sardines
Fish oil (which you can get from sardines in a can)
Flax seed oil