Dob

How much time will my GSD puppy take to learn the command ?

Actually I am new to adopt a dog and train him, so several common questions are appearing on me.

My 3 month old GSD puppy respect to Sit, Stay, Come and Stand Up these four command only then when I feed him. But he doesn't respond these common when not feeding. I train him 3 times daily and I started training him approx 6 days ago. Do I need to do extra to make him obey to my command when not feeding him. please answer

Asked by Dob on Jan 30th 2012 Tagged gsd, training, puppy, behaviour in Commands

Answers

Piper

I have a german shepherd Puppy also. I don't work with he 3 times a day with training because even at three months they really need more bonding than training other than the potty training. I would try to bond more with play, German shepherds need a lot of hands on attention and socialization. Your puppy may just respond best with food especially if you use it constantly with training. I alternate between praises playtime and treats with training therefore mine doesn't expect food every time to be able to obey. You may want to try that if you havent already, but it may take awhile if you have used treats with every training session. For helping your dog obey you, make sure when giving your pup a command you are standing tall and acting like the "pack leader" you have to be that or you will have problems with them listening. Never hit or smack your pup that only damages your bond and can create trust issues. I hope my answer helps. Best of luck.

Piper answered on 1/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You can't just go cold turkey and stop using food to lure/reward behaviors and expect obedience. Right now, your dog thinks that the food is part of the cue- "Okay, I sit when he holds the piece of chicken over my head..."

First try doing the command WITHOUT the food in your hand, but have it nearby. Pretend it's in your hand, and then prompt him. If he complies, get the treat from where it was hidden and give it to him- show him that the food isn't always visible (so he'll obey without seeing it first.)

Then you phase out the food so he doesn't get a reward every time- try to mix it up so he doesn't know when he's going to get the treat. Start with treating for half the prompts, then 1/4 of the time, then one in 10, etc.

Also try training in different settings- the front yard, the driveway, the park, not just in your house.

This takes time, and again, your guy is REALLY young- you will need to keep working with him for many more months before he will become really reliable.

GSDs are my heart breed. DO continue training..it is essential to do daily training, all the way through adulthood. Use positive methods..no aggression or yelling. "Train Your Dog Like a Pro" by Donaldson, or "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Miller are excellent books on clicker training. Training should be short & positive at this point..maybe 2-5 minutes max, 3 or 4 times a day. If he's UTD on shots get him out socializing...100 people; 100 places;100 days. He can not go too far at this age, but getting used to the leash & LLW is important. If he likes his food...take some out & use it for training. There is nothing wrong with using treats to train..just use a variable schedule of reinforcement. Some "sits" get a treat, then one doesn't, then 2 "sits" gets a treat...mix it up. Remember GSDs take up to 3 years to mature & they can be nutso teens. Early consistent training is vital in raising a balanced adult.

You have to phase out the food and start giving vocal or physical praise. If you only give food then the dog depends on it. Get him excited and he will respond better.