CJ

how much liquid benadryl can i give my 80.lb dog have??

I have a pit bull with really bad dry skin. what can i do to stop him from itching so bad that he has scabs and sores on him. I heard benadryl works but i don't know how much, i heard fish oil and veggie oil in their food works. but i haven't tried yet. what else can i do without having to take him to the vet. that's a last resort.

Asked by CJ on Jan 4th 2009 in Allergies

Answers

I would look into changing foods, particularly to a fish-based food. Dry skin is often a result of poor nutrition (not always, though). Check out the food and nutrition forum for more info.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 1/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

twister

I read on a veterinarian hospital page that you were NOT supposed to give the liquid form of benadryl to dogs

twister answered on 1/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

hercules

i have given the liquid, they hate it, my hercules takes benadryl daily, he weighs 16 pounds and takes two pink tablets morning and two at night, i also use fish oil, brewers yeast tablets daily, and what works the best for us is cornstarch baby powder. it works wonders for allergy redness and itchies. i had to give benadryl to my saint bernard once for a food allergy and she took four, she weighed 110 at the time. i would double check with any vet, they can confirm the dosage for you. my vet is great, give them a call for dosage questions if you like 8129488297, they may help, but it is safe for them to take daily. i had a lot of concerns at first with daily dosages, but they assured me that it was better than letting him suffer with the itches that they sometimes cannot scratch. hope this was of some help, i would look into the food changing though, sometimes, it is the answer. good luck!

hercules answered on 1/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Zackintosh CJ

I agree with Bam-Bam, itching is *usually* a symptom of poor diet, feeding a low quality grain based food (Science Diet, Purina, Iams, Eukanuba etc.) isn't healthy and will plague your dog with numerous problems including itching. Try switching to a raw diet, more info at dogaware.com and barfworld.com
Does he have fleas? Check him thoroughly and bathe him, if that doesn't help than try switching diet. I don't think you should use benadryl, it may help but it just masks the problem and doesn't treat it.
Fish based food and/or fish oil may help.
He may be allergic to something as well, try an elimanation diet and make sure theres no kind of poison ivy or anything he may have gotten into.
Paw mail me if you have any questions!

Zackintosh CJ answered on 1/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer