How much coconut oil do I put in my 80lb dogs food

I have a 80lb pit bull with dry skin and pimples on her body and always licking her paws,I figure it's allergy to her food,so input coconut oil in her food ,my question is how much and how often do I put it in her food

Asked by Member 1156574 on Feb 22nd 2013 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Chase

Why would you put coconut oil in her food? If she's allergic to her food you should change it.

Chase answered on 2/22/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree with the other poster. You need to change her food if she is allergic to it.

While licking feet MAY be a symptom of a food allergy, pimples on the skin are not and should be investigated by your vet to find the cause. She could have any number of problems, including but not limited to mange mites, skin infections, other parasites, etc. Only a veterinarian can tell for sure what her problem is.
And, as the previous posters have stated... adding coconut oil to her food is going to do nothing for a potential allergy without stopping her exposure to the allergen. If she really IS allergic to her food you need to do an elimination diet to pinpoint what she may be allergic to, then NOT FEED HER that particular allergen.
To do that you would feed her a limited protein source for 4 to 6 weeks and see how her response is. Every 4 to 6 weeks you can add another protein source and hopefully that way figure out what she may be allergic to, if her problem is, in fact allergies.
If her skin problems are from other causes only your vet can diagnose and treat.

Coconut oil is amazing! I give my 70lb weim about 1 TBLS a day (he licks it off the spoon). I would say around there is probably good, but you could probably give her a touch more. Once a day in his food should be good. If she is in fact allergic to her food though the coconut oil probably won't help You might switch her. You can also rub the coconut oil into the dry skin directly to help moisturize.

If she's allergic to her food, switch her to a different food that is grain free.

I found info saying 2 Tablespoons/day is good for humans, so I would say about the same size-wise. My American Bulldog is 90lbs. and loves coconut oil and I give her about 3 T. every day.