how many times a day should you feed your dog?

Asked by Abby on Mar 15th 2009 in Pet Food

Answers

Lola Penelope

I think it depends on age, breed and size. Young puppies should be feed 3X a day. Most older puppies get feed 2X a day. Some people feed their adult dogs only once a day. It depends I guess. Lola was feed 3X a day until 5 months old and now she eats 2X a day. Large dogs that eat to much to fast, should eat 2 smaller meals instead of 1 big meal, to help prevent bloat. If they are active, they should also eat 2 smaller meals instead of one big meal. There really is no need to feed an adult dog more than twice a day in my opinion. At the doggie daycare I work, some dogs get feed lunch... the puppies I get, but the adult dogs that get feed lunch are all over weight and eating "cheap" food. So, yeah... thats all I know

Lola Penelope answered on 3/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Katie

Hi Abby!
As a Lab/GSD mix, you are a large-breed dog and therefore more vulnerable to bloat, which is a twisting of the stomach often brought on by gulping too much food too quickly. I'm a GSD, and my vet advised my family to feed me twice a day, morning and evening, so I won't get too hungry and gobble too quickly.
When I was a puppy, up to about 14 months, I had breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but now I can wait longer between my two meals per day.
While we're on the subject of food, you should be on a high quality diet that contains no corn, wheat, by-products, "digest," or other fillers. Ask your human to read the labels, as if you were a toddler, and look for the first ingredient to be meat (not "meal"). If they buy premium food, you will need to eat less, and you will poop less, too! Here are some good brands to try: Orijen, Wellness, Lotus, Solid Gold, Inova, Before Grain, Taste of the Wild. Your humans could try feeding raw, but it takes some research to do it right.

Katie answered on 3/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

For adult dogs, some say twice a day. Others swear by once a day.
The best advice I can give is to take a look at the reasons on how often to feed from both sides and decide for yourself. Then use whatever works best for you. I personally feed once a day.
The argument I have seen for twice a day is that it reduces stomach gases or something or that sort. The argument I have seen for once a day is that it's better for performance (Agility, Fly Ball, etc) dogs, especially when fed in the evening.

Depends totally on age, size, and how much they are exercised.
Babies or adults should have a very good diet. Along with regular vet appointments to ensure vaccinations and checkups for heartworms ect.
If in doubt you can ask your vet how he thinks the dog's progress is going.

Bailey

I free feed my dog because he doesn't eat a lot so I don't need to worry about him overeating. Most people will say its bad to free feed but if the dog regulates himself then its okay.
Some people swear its better to feed one meal a day, I personally think that feeding multiple times a day will decrease the chance of bloat as well as the dog being less hungry during the day.
Very young puppies need to be fed 3-4 meals a day.
Think of it like humans, babies need to be fed often throughout the day (and night), soon (like 6-12 week old pups) they can be fed less often, adults can eat 1 to 3 meals a day depending on their lifestyle and preference. Active people need to eat more.
The same follows for dogs, if you have a dog competing in say, agility, you will need to feed more food or more often then if you had a dog that stays indoors sleeping 9 hours a day.
It also depends on size, if you have a Yorkie you'll feed less often then if you had a Great Dane, big dogs prone to bloat.

Bailey answered on 3/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think that it is best to feed your adult dogs twice a day. I had a dog that I kept food out for her all the time and she was never overweight and not a very hungry dog. It depends on the dog. It may be true that the expensive meat first dog foods are better but most people cannot afford them. We have found that Purina and OL'ROY are good brands for most dogs. My two dog have done great on them and I have one dog that is 15 1/2 years old, that speaks for itself. She is in good health and is running with my new one year old Lab.