how many times a day should a dog eat ?

Asked by Member 540728 on Dec 5th 2007 Tagged rottweiler, food, nutrition, health in Other Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Kaiden *aka BOO*, PAWS

This is sort of an open-ended question. It depends on the breed and age. I have a puggle who is 6mo old. My vet advised me he should be eating a cup of food/day. I disperse this into 3-4 feedings a day.If I am home all day and can split the meal 4 times. I give him 1/4 cup of dry Eukenuba puppy small bits food 4x. If we are going to be out during the day I may split it into 3 times giving him 1/3 of a cup 3x. Food should never be left out for the dog to eat when he chooses. This makes it difficult to get him on a "potty" schedule and it also makes it HIS/HER choice to eat when he/she wants instead of your choice to feed him/her when YOU (as the "pack leader") decide it's time. The most important is getting him/her on a potty schedule so that you learn when your dog needs to go therefore limiting indoor accidents. This happens best when on a feeding schedule. If you could let me know the breed and age of your dog, I could make it more specific to your situation.
Thanks!
Kaiden

Kaiden *aka BOO*, PAWS answered on Dec 5th.

Answers

Terran

I believe that 3 times per day when they are young pups but by around 3-4 months you should transition to 2 times per day (some dogs eventually only need to be fed once per day). This helps in potty training and training in general since it makes potty time more predictable. Most trainers seem to recommend the 2 times per day approach. Large breeds can sometimes come off of puppy food by 6 months to help with hip displaysia. Ask your vet.

Terran answered on 12/5/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

PJ

I don't think dogs should be allowed to graze whenever they want, it really is a precursor to a dog being overweight. I think 2x a day is best for an adult dog. It should be generally the same time everyday once in the morning and once in the early evening. Once a day is to long to go without food and a hungry dog is not a calm dog. Also it is very important that you feed your dog according to the recommend amounts from the back of the bag. I cross my fingers it is high quality dog food. Make sure you are feeding the correct amounts for you dogs age, weight and activity level.

PJ answered on 12/5/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer