How many blocks should you go when you are starting your 7 year old dog on walking?

Well my dog is overwieght and we are gonna start walking it before its to late.

Asked by Member 989576 on May 31st 2010 in Obesity

Answers

Momma's Girls

I would say take your dog walking, bring water, and see how far he can go. You wont know until you try it so take him until he starts panting, make sure you give him water, and turn back. Then each day/week you can try a little farther and farther. Your pup will let you know when he's done. If you're still not sure try walking laps around a track, time yourself and then you'll know how long you can go until he's tired. Even drive him somewhere, then he'll get rest on the drive home. Good for you to get him some exercise, it'll be good for both of you! Keep us posted!

Momma's Girls answered on 5/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If your do has not been very active, I would not go much more then a couple of blocks out and back. I took in a 6 year old years ago that was out of shape and heavy, and that is what i started with. Then every couple of days i would add half a block. If that seemed to much we would stay with that distance for a couple of extra days. It took awhile but we did get up to the point of going for a mile and later on we starting running part of the trip. I also hope you are doing something in the way of a diet to go along with the walking. I hope this helps alot and you are able to take the weight off the dog.