how long should a k-9 wear a splint

how long should my year old wear a leg slint. THE SLINT WAS PUT ON FEB. 28 2008. TODAYS DATE IS MARCH 26 2008. I LIVE ON SSI AN SSD HAVE NO MONEY FOR VET FEES. AS THEY WANT 100.00 A VISIT. I NEED HELP FOR MY BABY. PLEASE TELL ME WHEN IT WILL BE SAFE TO REMOVE THE SPLINT.

Asked by Member 612319 on Mar 26th 2008 in Emergencies & First Aid

Best Answer

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

You should not remove the splint on your own.If your dogs leg is not healed you will be doing a great deal of damage or not be doing anything good for your dog by not taking it back to the Vet.Most Vets don't charge for splint or suture removals.You should really talk to your Vet's office to see about making small payments to them.That would be better then not doing the right thing for your dog. Just cut back on a few things so you will be able to pay for the bill.
We all know that it cost moiney to be on the internet unless youare at your local library.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on Mar 26th.

Answers

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

My 11 week old Chihuahua just had a cast put on...the recommended time was 4 weeks. Of course he is young and will heal quicker than an older dog. I would say 4-6 weeks should be fine. Hope that helps, and hope your baby is o.k.

Good Luck!!

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 3/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mercy (ADOPTED)

You need to post more information on what the splint is for. I don't know why the vet wants to charge you $100 as most vets do not charge for removal of stitches, splints, etc. Also, I had to change Mercy's splints every week which did cost more money because it would get moist and worn and would get all around gross in there and on the outside. She had broken bones and was in a cast/splint for 8 weeks. But, her splint to replace was $25 each time, not $100. No one can give you the answer to this question without more info and your vet knows your dog's condition and unfortunately we will not be able to tell you what is "safe"...Talk with your vet and see if you can do a payment plan or pay them when you can. Keeping the splint on too long or not long enough can have severe consequences for your pup so if you don't get it on time, you could be looking at well over $100 in the long run if you wait. Good luck and hope things work out for your baby!

Mercy (ADOPTED) answered on 3/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The others answered your question, so look in the phone book for another vet and have them remove it.
I can understand your money situation. Sometimes we have to use a credit card to pay for my dog's vet fees.

About 3-4 weeks.My Miniature Pincher got hit by a car about 4-5 wks ago and my mom wrapped her up and about 3-4 wks later she was healed.

Odie-Wan-Kenobi  CGC

I'm sorry to say this but you'll probably have to go to the vet. They have the right equipment to get the cast off and will know when it is safe to take it off.

Odie-Wan-Kenobi CGC answered on 5/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer