How long should a dog wear a cast?!

My rat-terrier jumped off the sofa and broke her leg at 2:30 in the morning. She jumped off Sept 13th and they don't plan taking the cast off til Nov. 4th. Don't you think thats a little to long?! They have no even done a second x-ray. She isn't even a year old and they orginally told me she would heal fast 4-6 weeks. Why do you think they want to leave it on for a few days shy of 8 weeks. Then on top of that i THINK she is about to go in heat. could she give me anymore trouble. With the vet bill up to 635 dollars CAN I HAVE A BREAK!!! :(

Another thing....She was house trained prior to all of these troubles. now she continues to poop in the floor and I've even found pee. Why do you think all of the sudden she is misbehaving? she is for real a fulltime job. I had no idea what i was in for!

-first time pet owner

Asked by Member 755579 on Oct 20th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Boston

I am sure your vets know what they are doing. It all really depends on the break and the dog. Boston broke his leg he was just over 6 months. I think he had his on 6 weeks. It felt like alot longer though. His leg also was set on wrong. They had to take him to surgery and neutered him there and they set the leg on wrong so now it is crooked which wasnt that big of a deal it seems to have straightened a bit since. Still wasnt happy he was supposed to show but I knew with the break that career was done. :( Also when the cast is off the leg will be very weak. It will take time to recuperate and get strength back. It took Boston a long while at first he still wouldnt use the leg so if yours still hops around after cast is off thats normal for the first week or so.

Boston answered on 10/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Brandy

Brandy broke her foot and had her cast on for 4 weeks. Its been 1 week since they took it off. The vet originally told us 6-8 weeks. After 4 weeks, they did an x-ray to see how things were going. 2 of the bones were mostly healed, but the 3rd wasn't. They thought it was the cast that was preventing it from healing correctly, so they decided to take the cast off early. Now we have to keep her REALLY still and calm for 3 weeks. Then they'll do another x-ray.

I'd be patient and follow what your vet says. 8 weeks does not sounds like too long, especially if its a bad break.

Hope you pup feels better soon!!

Brandy answered on 10/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer