Snoopy

How long should a 1yr old dog be walked?

How long can i walk snoopy for? i believe he is a basset/lab mix with a smaller breed like a beagle or dashund in there.He turned 1 yr old on X-mas,he is 11-12inches at the shoulder and weighs 25lbs.

I just wanted to make sure so i dont walk him too little or too much.He has the energy of a labrador in a mini basset body.Although i know bassets can also be energetic dogs.

Thanks :)

Asked by Snoopy on Mar 20th 2011 in Exercise & Play

Answers

Bailey

Usually when you walk a dog you can tell when you finally start to wear them down. When you are walking Snoopy, if he starts to walk a little slower, or pants faster, you know you have been giving him good excersise daily.
If he has the energy of a Lab, a longer walk is probably better. Or you could give a shorter walk, 2-3 times daily.
Hope this helped!

Bailey answered on 3/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

kai

It really depends on the dog, I would not be able to walk my one year old long enough in 24 hours to give her enough excercise. She requires at least 2 hours at a strenuous run just to keep her content, not even wore out. My 3 year old only requires about 1/2 as much before she is settled. I would bet that even if you are tired after your walk your dog is probably not, but let her mood and behavior be your guide. Is your dog asking for more play time by bringing toys to you? Being destructive, bouncing off the walls? Then you probably need to find more ways to wear it out. But on the other hand by the time you are done is it looking worn out and when you come home does it lay down and pass out? Then it may be too much.

kai answered on 3/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer