Charlie

How long do worms take to develop?

I'm going to take our dog to the vet later, because when I walked him this morning, I saw long-ish, sort of flat worms in his poop. He is almost completely an indoor dog, doesn't have fleas or anything. We'd had him stay at a kennel for 6 days about a week ago. Is it possible he got worms there? Or do you think it was something here at the house?

Asked by Charlie on Dec 3rd 2007 Tagged worms in Worms & Parasites

Best Answer

Chloe

How long does it take?
"It takes 3 weeks from the time the flea is swallowed to the time tapeworm segments appear on the pet’s rear end or stool."
www.marvistavet.com

The above site is a great informative site; with that time estimate you can guess where he licked one up, but really I wouldn't feel guilty on your part.

I understand when you HAVE to leave & NEED to leave your dog somewhere, but honestly it's a matter of resarching a little luck to find a great place for your dog, (try Dogster Local or forums). Now that you've seen the facilities/people you can make your decision to return or not.

I will note that it's common for a dog to be placed on medicine & need to be given another dose to get rid of the tapeworm(s). Completely checking for "the clear" with your vet will be the best bet to rid Charlie of this problem.

Best of luck,
~Chloe

Chloe answered on Dec 3rd.

Answers

First off, kennels are horrible and I have rarely heard any good things coming out of a kennel. I'm not a fan of kennels and much prefer pet sitters to kennels.

I'm sure your dog did pick up tapeworms from the kennel since tapeworms come from fleas and a kennel is always flea infested.

Tapeworms live in the dog's intestine. They are called tapeworms because of their long, flat, ribbon tape appearance. The segments break off and will show up around the anus or in the poop.

Dogs usually get tapeworms when they eat a flea that ate a tapeworm egg.

Take your dog to the vet and get they will get it cleared up with an oral medication. It is very effective.

Give your dog a flea bath and continue to comb him over to check for fleas also Frontline Plus is a great prevention.

Shinji

Yeah, just get him to the vet as soon as you can, and they will give him an oral dewormer. It should be effective, but the vet will probably have you come back in a few days so they can test Charlie's feces for remaining worms/eggs. If there are still some there, they'll just give him another dose. Don't worry, they'll take care of him.

About kennels, though. If you think that the kennel you used is the reason/place where Charlie got worms, I would start doing some research on finding a new boarding facility. Not all facilities are terrible, dirty, and/or parasite infested. They are more expensive, but there are nice, clean, comfortable places out there. Shinji goes to Dogtopia (www.dogdaycare.com), and it's wonderful. They have a giant play area and get lots of love and attention. They have a locator on their site, so you can see if there is a location near you. Good luck, and I hope Charlie gets better soon!

Shinji answered on 12/3/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

~Angel (RIP 11/20/07)~

Angel had these once. My vet said dogs get tapeworms two ways: fleas and eating other animals' feces. It takes a few weeks to notice the tapeworms. The vet gave us medicine to take at the time, and another dose for four weeks later. The tapeworms can lay eggs that will not hatch for about four weeks. Four weeks after that, I took in a stool sample to make sure they were all gone. I know for me it was scary (and really gross) to see them, but actually it's pretty easy to get rid of.

~Angel (RIP 11/20/07)~ answered on 12/3/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer