How long can you crate a puppy for?

I was just curious. Can you leave it for 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours? Also, does it depend on age?

Asked by Member 1035259 on Jun 6th 2011 Tagged cratetrainingpuppieshowlongcantheybeinthere in Other Puppies

Answers

well... yes age... you shouldn't really leave any puppy in a crate for any length of time. if you do then you have to get a dog walker and someone to come every couple of hours.
and there is dangers with crate like a paw getting stuck , chewing on metal ect... so there is no easy way of answering this one.
just keep the times short as you can. crates are safety tools but should not be abused but yet they can be hard on dogs such as anxiety, stress and suppression in the tender puppyhood :(

Bella

Well I got my puppy at 6weeks old n I put her in the crate the very first night I bought her a pillow that has a heart beat n a blankie I gave her a small treat turned on the heart beat she went inside with no problem. Early the next morning I took her out to use her pee pad n eat breakfast. The first week she had accidents but after she does her business I turn on the heartbeat n she goes in for her self n holds it until the next morning. She actually loves her crate but only at nite time in the day I got her a play pen.... good luck;)

Bella answered on 6/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Lucy

Puppies can hold their urine for different amounts of time, based a lot of the time on age in months. So, at 2 months of age the maximum amout of time to expect the puppy to be able to hold it is 2 hours. At 4 months, it's four hours. However, no dog should be left alone for longer than 6 hours at a time because that's when bladder infections and UTI's begin to develop, which isn't fun for the dog or the owner. So, if you're planning on being away for long periods of time for the day, hire a dog walker or someone who can come to your house and let the dog out periodically throughout the day.

Lucy answered on 7/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer