HOW LONG CAN A DOG GO WITHOUT EATTING

MY DOG HAS SEEN A VET. SHE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH A HEART CONDITION. THATS WHEN SHE QUIT EATING. SHE WAS PUT ON HEART MEDICATION AND THATS WHEN IT ALL BEGAN. NOW I HAVE A 13 YEAR OLD DOG WHO HAS A HEART CONDITION AND WON'T EAT. I TRIED CHICKEN AND HER FAVORITE LIVER SAUSAGE, BUT NOTHING WORKS. SHE WILL GO IN TO SEE THE VET TOMORROW. ALL SHE DRINKS IS WATER. I AM AT MY WITS END. I EVEN ORDERED A NATURAL HEART REMEDY FOR HER. I THOUGHT MAYBE IT WAS THE MEDICATION. THE VET PUT HER ENALIPRIL AND A WATER PILL. I CAN'T GET HER INTO A VET TODAY AS MY VET IS OFF. THE SOONEST I CAN IS TOMORROW. SHE IS VERY WEAK. THIS IS AWLFUL. I AM NOT CRUEL . I HAVE 3 OTHER DOGS AND THEY ARE OK. PLEASE ANY ADVICE. ANY AT ALL.
DORTH

Asked by Member 875554 on Sep 24th 2009 Tagged noteating in Health & Wellness

Answers

A healthy dog can go for days, maybe over a week. Ordinarily tempting a dog with rich food is the wrong thing to do. In this case, I would. Try some strong smelling cheese, fish based canned cat food, cottage cheese, anything soft and strong smelling. Have you tried peanut butter?

Bella

I'm honestly not sure how long they can go without food because i've never heard nor have i been thru anything like that, my dogs eat two or three times a day.. But I would love to wish you the best of luck with your dog! I am so sorry you have to go thru this. A dog turning down people food isn't a good sign. I'm so sorry! Good Luck!

Bella answered on 9/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maverick

We are so sorry your dog is sick, I know how hard it is. I just turned 13 a couple months ago and I have been sick the last couple weeks. Mom says to stay strong and don't give up! She recommends trying cottage cheese with a tablespoon of cold refrigerated flax seed oil! I eat it up every day and I love it! You can also try as others suggested some canned food! I like the Nutro Natural Choice trays! They are really yummy and soft! I hope you get good news back from the vet!

You are in our thoughts and prayers. Get well soon!

Maverick answered on 9/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You're not cruel. You sound like a good mom trying to do the best for their dog.
I hope you get some answers for what's causing the lack in appetite.
Good luck

Nibbles

I wasn't trying to imply that you were cruel. Sometimes we can't tell if it is a young, inexperience person asking the question. I don't blame you for being worried. Unless there is an emergency vet nearby I don't see what more you can do. Could the new medicine be upsetting her tummy? Just something to ask the vet. I'll keep you and your dog in my prayers.

Nibbles answered on 9/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am so sorry this is happening! Just go see your vet as soon as pawsible again.

Diva Kisses,

Polly

Seth

Heart conditions are not any fun. I have had two dogs with heart problems and sometimes it can be hard. Right now i would try just about anything. In the past i have used lunch meat and raw chicken wings just to get something in them The heart pills did make them not want to eat with mine also. BEst of luck with your dog and i hope everything comes out fine.

Seth answered on 9/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer