Rylee

How important are the sell-by dates on dog food?

How soon after the sell-by date (if at all) can I feed dry dog food? I have a huge bag of unopened Wellness Super 5 that was given to me by a friend who couldn't use it that is now coming up on its sell-by date in August. I'm about to start Rylee on adult food so I was finally going to open this bag, but should I? I didn't buy it so it's not a waste of money, but I'd hate to waste all of that good kibble! Thanks!

Asked by Rylee on Jul 3rd 2011 Tagged expirationdate, dryfood, wellness in Pet Food

Answers

Jet

Shelf life for dry dog food is about 30 days, if that helps.

Lots of Licks,

Jet

Jet answered on 7/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

A sealed bag may have a shelf life of one year....depending on the brand of food.

I just opened a bag of Blue Buffalo that has a "best used by..." date of July 2012. Once open food quickly can go stale, so should be used in about 30 days.

It is possible to extend that if you freeze the food in air tight freezer bags.

You should be fine as those sell by dates also have extra time built into them. The problem is that the fats in the food will become rancid... this is obvious by smell. If it smells nasty, don't feed it, otherwise, I agree with the second poster... freeze some of it after you open it.
OPENED bags do have a shelf life of approximately one month, DEPENDING on the storage conditions.
Wellness is packed in well sealed bags so unless the bag has been breached in some way I wouldn't worry.

AS long as the bag is not open, you can go a bit past the date on the bag without worry. When i used to work retail, I was once told by a rep of Nabisco that that their stuff could still be eaten 60 days past the date on the bag without worry. But because of some regulations they have to keep them shorter.