Miss Lily

How early can you spay/neuter a puppy?

I am going to be 4 months old in 1 week. My mom wants to get me fixed to make sure I don't end up with other health problems. Also, do many dogs have problems with being put under?

Asked by Miss Lily on May 4th 2008 in Spaying & Neutering

Best Answer

Elle

Now the general age for spaying/neutering is 6 months. It's not the earliest some people do it, but I even asked my vet and he said to be on the safe side it is best you wait until they are six months. My little sister Lola is 3 months and we will get her spayed when she is six months old. Since it is such a common procedure, the vets know how to do it without problems usually. Most dogs do not have any problems with it. Also, puppies heal very quickly since they are still young and growing. If you get your puppy fixed between the ages of 6 months to 1 year, you shoud have nothing to be worried about!

Elle answered on May 5th.

Answers

Shelters get it done at the age of 2 months, but the safest age, IMO, is 6 months. Some people would rather wait until one year when th dog is fully developed.
Not many dogs have problems. Some do, but most don't.

I just took my little one to the vet yesterday, and they said in 5-6 months of age.

Layla

Discuss this with your vet. Each vet has their own feelings and policies regarding the pups age.

Our vet wouldnt do it until 6 months but my brother's vet did it as early as 4 months.

So, although we can tell you all sorts of ages your stuck with what your vet says anyway and if you are happy with your current vet there's no need to "shop around" for this service.

Layla answered on 5/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

It varies anywhere between 4 and 7 months depending on the vet and the individual dog