How do you train a dog to eat slower? I cannot find a special bowl and I dont know what else to do! HELP!?

6month old chinese crested puppy.
Obsessed by food, can eat a whole bowl in 5 seconds flat, and I dont know how to slow him down, he almost took my finger off lastnight when I gave him a treat.
Its driving me insane, if I leave a plate of food unattended without thinking and he can reach it, its gone!
He is obsessed with food and is wreckless to obtain it. He gets fed twice a day, with a treat at lunchtime and sometimes just before bed.
My other 2 year dog does not have and never has had this problem. I really really really need help!

Asked by Member 869135 on Aug 19th 2009 Tagged obsessedfoodsnatchtraineatslowly in Methods of Training

Answers

Jasper James

I do the same thing! You have two options that might work best!
1) pour his food out on the floor and spread it out. this will make him have to move around and swallow what he has in his mouth before moving forward for more peices of food. (this is what my mom does)
2) there are bowls that have dividers in the pit of the bowl that will make him lift his head to move to the next section and with that, He will naturally swallow what he has in his mouth.

You might also make sure He doesnt have any intestinal parasites. Tape worms which are common in puppies causes them to eat eat eat and they never feel full!

I hope this helps! GL! WOOF!

Jasper James answered on 8/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

MAGGIE

First of all remember he is still very much a puppy. He is like a small child, so you need to be more active on keeping things out of his reach you don't want him getting into.
My Maggie is almost 4 and is still a fast eater. I tried a few different bowls but I found just pouring her food (dry food) on the kitchen floor worked better. It takes her longer to eat it.
You may want to join a puppy group that teaches the basics. I found one in my area for less then $50 for 8 weeks. We both had a great time and met many new dog lovers.

MAGGIE answered on 8/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sometimes a dogs excitable nature can make him eat too fast. Teaching him to be more patient can help. Our dogs must sit and wait on a mat while we get food ready for them. This takes several minutes. Food is placed in different areas, not near each other, so they don't feel they are competeing for food. Move the new dog to another room, make each others bowls off limits.
There are a few things to try to get him to eat slower. Wet the food a little, put the food in a muffin tin or several tiny cups, try a Bundt pan, put a couple of large stones in the dish, make your own feeder with hardwood 1x2 notch them to make an X the dimensions of your food bowl.
Pamela got better when she noticed treats were offered to a dog by name and another was not to take it, Mom would not let them.
I have had two dogs like this, it is very hard to change them - good luck.

I have always used a large rock in the bowl that forces the dog to have to move it to get to the food. It has helped my dogs to slow down and can be taken away after awhile.. Make sure the rock is not to small that they can get it in the dogs mouth.

There are not one, but 2 easy, tested, effective ways to control rapid eating. You can spread the food out on a cookie sheet or something. Some of my friends just throw it on the floor of the crate. You can put large rocks in the food dish, much to big to swallow. Either way, the dog can't gulp down one big mouthful after another.

Sadie

What I do with my rescue dog Sadie is water her food down. First measure the food out and set up a feeding schedule for your dog. When it is feeding time water your dogs food down almost until it floats just a little. This will slow the feeding process down. Also they have feeding control ball available at Petsmart in the feeding bowl isle. That may help if the water does not work.

Sadie answered on 8/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Petco sells them. They have bumps in the bottom of the whole and they have to work to get it out. You can also decrease food amounts by 1/5th and feed small servings 4 or 5 times a day. Gobbling up water can contribute to bloat also and instead of water give her ice cubes.