How do you potty train a STUBBORN Shih-Tzu?

My Shih-Tzu is 3 years old and we bought him when he was just 8 weeks old from a private breeder. To say that this puppy is spoiled is an understatement. We tried to crate train him, but we couldn't handle the constant barking. He is extremely smart and knows that he is supposed to go outside, but he hates stepping outside. Whenever we open the door and tell him to go out he will hide under couch. We take him out force ably 3-4 times a day and he does his job, but he will STILL go in the house. How can we train him?

Asked by Member 561654 on Jan 22nd 2008 in House Soiling

Answers

Serendipity

Hello,

A few things - you said a lot in this sentence, "To say that this puppy is spoiled is an understatement". When a dog is too spoiled, it's extremely challenging, and possibly futile, to get him to do anything he doesn't want to do. So, it's a good idea to start working on your relationship as a leader / parent instead of granting his every wish ( I know it's hard!!)

Next, one of my dogs HATES going out when the ground is wet (rain, snow). I've tried luring her with treats and no luck. But, if I put her on a leash, she'll run out the door as usual. Will he respond better on a leash?

Are his feet sensitive, does he need some little doggie shoes?

Does throwing a treat out the door help?

Make it really rewarding for him to go out (lots of praise). It MAY be that the more frustrated you get, the more your tone turns angry and he's associating your negative tone with going outside.

Let us know if those ideas don't work!

Serendipity answered on 1/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bowser

Would you ever consider litter-box training? It isn't ideal but I know folks with small dogs who just go litter box. I've considered having one around for when the weather gets nasty.

Bowser answered on 1/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer