How do you know if your puppies paw is broken

dogs paw is swollen and she doesnt like it when we touch it could it be broken

Asked by Member 733545 on Sep 10th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Rookie

If your dog can not walk on it and shows no improvement after 24 hours you must go to the vet. I personally would go after a few hours, but at the latest wait 24 hours to see if she starts to use it and lets you touch it.

Rookie answered on 9/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

To the vet with ye'!

Hannah

If your puppy is limping or paying a lot of attention to the paw, I would worry. Especially if the behavior lasts more than a few hours.

Some dogs can have broken paws, etc and show little signs of how bad the injury really is too.

The only sure way to know if the paw is broken or not is by a Veterinary examination where the paw can be looked at, and possibly an x-ray taken.

I hope your fur kid's paw is ok.
Wishing you well.....

Hannah answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Can your dog put any weight on her paw? If she is limping, and will NOT put her paw down, then it is VERY likely that it is either broken or severely fractured. Regardless, you really should take her to your vet to have an x-ray done. If it is swollen, and she CAN walk on it, but limps a little, then it is possible that she may not actually have a broken paw, but none the less, you need to visit your vet to get a definite answer. If it is broken and you disregard the issue, your dog's paw will heal incorrectly, and she may never be able to use it. Let me know how she does.